A proper reset button for Junior

Hardware questions and modifications

A proper reset button for Junior

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:51 pm

Click the images below to view them in their full resolution.
We all know about the hotswappable feature with the PCjr carts and the way it resets the system by jumping the first two pins of the connector with the 7 shaped pin of a cart's edge connector.
Pretty much everyone can think of a way to connect a switch to the mobo to exploit this with their own reset switch. ...So what I'm posting here isn't exactly a "how to" or anything, but just some stuff I did that may or may not inspire someone else to do it ,too or whatever...

Before I decided to install a reset switch, I first chose to use my "wannabe computer guy" skills to trace the traces and see if I really wanted to do it.
A few minutes later, I found some through-holes that are perfectly spaced apart for a three pin header.

I placed all three pins for stability. As long as no-one throws a jumper cap on there, it'll be fine. (Not like there's a chance anyone would be in my PCjr to do that, anyway. :p)

After doing that, I did the prettiest job I could by wiring a momentary switch (That I found to be appropriate for reasons) to a three pin connector.
I used two red wires, because this is what I see used in most AT/ATX setups, but had to use a connector that is standard for the power LED on such setups. (Or the turbo switch on some AT boards)

I chose to mount it in in the rear right of the system, in order to keep the system stock in appearance, and to go along with IBM's idea of placing the power switch in the back, but on the opposite side.
It might not seem like it at first, but there is enough room under the floppy drive for the connector. There's probably not enough with the Jr-HotshotII or something like that, though.

So now what I have is a handy reset switch that will be handy for lockups or any other time I need to reset, without stressing the power supply as much. And since it can be unplugged, it won't get in the way whenever I remove the motherboard, which I do quite a bit.
Just reach around the right and push the button to reset!
(That SPDT switch back there is unrelated to this. I'm going to use it for another modification.)
Last edited by Eric on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
PCjr:
Eric

Re: A proper reset button for Junior.

Postby Trixter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for the pictures!
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Re: A proper reset button for Junior

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:26 am

Here's a picture showing which vias to use, just in case anyone actually wants to do this without wanting to go through the fun of locating them on their own. ;)
(It's obviously not hard to find them, but it's always nice to share any information that will reduce effort and stuff like that.)

Trixter wrote:Fantastic! Thanks for the pictures!

You're welcome. It's not as neat as the actual panel headers on ATX mobos, but it's just as easy and has saved me the trouble of having to unscrew the switch and risk breaking solder joints with a mess of dangling wires ever time I've had to remove the motherboard. I'm pretty much done with the modifications to my motherboard for now, so I probably won't be removing it for some time, but this will only make it easier when it comes time to do it, again.
PCjr:
Eric

Return to PCjr Hardware