Problems installing DOS to JrIDE

Hardware questions and modifications

Problems installing DOS to JrIDE

Postby Maximillion95 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:19 pm

I am using a pre-assembled JrIDE with a CF Card. I can read and write files to the card, but actually installing DOS to it is giving me problems.

When I use Compaq DOS 3.31, I can partition the disk, but DOS can't see it except from within FDISK itself(I get an "Invalid Drive Specification" error when I attempt to format it or change to it from within DOS).

When I use DOS 6.22, I can FDISK, Format, and SYS the drive, but Trixter's patching utility (Which worked wonderfully when I created the initial 6.22 boot disk for the Jr)tells me that it can't read the boot sector of the new C drive. (Even though I can read and write to the card already from within DOS). When trying to boot from the CF card after this, the machine locks up after printing "Starting MS-DOS" to the screen. I even tried patching the boot sector manually with DEBUG but I get the same result.

Any insight into this issue would be appreciated.

Max
Maximillion95

Re: Problems installing DOS to JrIDE

Postby jmetal88 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:26 am

You're probably already doing this, but just to be sure, are you rebooting after you FDISK? DOS generally won't recognize a new partition until you reboot.
jmetal88

Postby Maximillion95 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:12 pm

I suspected that too, so I would completely switch it off, That didn't help either.
Maximillion95

Postby jmetal88 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:42 pm

Hmm, that is weird. Unfortunately, since I didn't have any similar problems using my jrIDE, I don't know if I can be very helpful.

But yeah, the usual process goes FDISK -> Reboot -> FORMAT -> SYS -> Patch boot sector -> Copy DOS -> Reboot to hard drive. Though I haven't tried actually patching the boot sector on the hard drive yet.

Another thing I haven't tried is installing Compaq DOS on its own. You might try the method I ended up with and see if it works. I originally had MS-DOS 3.3 installed to the drive on a 32MB partition. When I wanted to switch to Compaq DOS, I simply booted up the floppy, SYS'd over the boot partition, copied the new DOS files over, then made a big extended partition to take advantage of Compaq DOS's larger partition sizes. So maybe you could try installing Compaq DOS on a 32MB partition, possibly using MS-DOS to make the partition instead of Compaq DOS, and just make a big extended partition later.
jmetal88

Postby Lutiana » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:37 pm

Have you tried patching the boot sector manually? Trixsters utility did not work for me either, but manual patch with debug did the trick.
Lutiana

Postby Maximillion95 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:26 pm

I have tried that twice, It still locked up both times.
Maximillion95

Postby jharre » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:36 am

My experience with CF cards has been varied, not with the jrIDE, but with other projects. Have you tried different cards, and especially other brands? SanDisk brand cards tend to be fairly reliable for me. Others, not so much.
jharre

Postby Maximillion95 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:37 am

It turns out all I had wrong was the drive I was writing the patch to. I was writing it to drive 3 instead of drive 2. I happened to find out I was doing this by only having 1 partition to start out with wen I attempted to patch it again. I would generally fully partition the card and when didn't this time I got an error about being unable to read drive D. That's when I figured out that both times when I manually patched the boot sector, I wrote the patch to D: without even realizing it!Now all is booting well with DOS 6.22.

I am also using a Kingston CF Card by the way.

Thanks for the replies.

Max
Maximillion95

Postby jmetal88 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:52 am

I'm glad you figured it out! I wouldn't have thought to suggest double-checking the drive number for the patch.
jmetal88

Return to PCjr Hardware