I've killed my jride

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: I've killed my jride

Postby MikeModified » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:08 pm

POST is normal and reliable. The jride BIOS output is as it always was except for the Drive 0:not installed.

All pins on both jr's are straight and of correct height.

Once again, using a bright light and magnifying glass, I made a slow inspection of each solder joint. I found no bridges or cold joints.

RTC: yesterday I reset it several times and the reported error remained. Today I've repeated all of yesterday's testing and the RTC reset correctly this morning and continues to work correctly.

Mike
MikeModified

Postby Hargle » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:24 am

just to summarize this, please correct me if I'm wrong on any point:
1) you've tested the same IDEjr on 2 machines.
2) you've tested multiple working IDE drives- drives that work with the XTIDE and at least one that previously worked on the IDEjr.
3) all other components of the IDEjr (except the occasional RTC hiccup) seem to work exactly as expected.
4) you're powering the drive(s) externally (OR using the 5v jumper for a DOM but not both at the same time)
5) you've tried with and without any additional JR sidecars attached.

#2 is not as much of a smoking gun as you'd hope- I've found several DOMs and drives that work on the XTIDE that do not work on the IDEjr. It may be possible that one drive that previously was working has now failed and the others never did/never would work on the IDEjr.
Hargle

Postby MikeModified » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Hargle wrote:just to summarize this, please correct me if I'm wrong on any point:
1) you've tested the same IDEjr on 2 machines.
2) you've tested multiple working IDE drives- drives that work with the XTIDE and at least one that previously worked on the IDEjr.
3) all other components of the IDEjr (except the occasional RTC hiccup) seem to work exactly as expected.
4) you're powering the drive(s) externally (OR using the 5v jumper for a DOM but not both at the same time)
5) you've tried with and without any additional JR sidecars attached.

#2 is not as much of a smoking gun as you'd hope- I've found several DOMs and drives that work on the XTIDE that do not work on the IDEjr. It may be possible that one drive that previously was working has now failed and the others never did/never would work on the IDEjr.

1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Mostly correct. Three times in testing I've gotten: "Drive 0:Not installed." "Drive 1:Not installed." <beep, beep> "ERRORH", with no floppy activity noted, which required ctrl-alt-del
4. No. I've had 5v on pin 20 jumpered. No changes with it unjumpered.
5. Correct.

Additional data point, perhaps: First test of #5 with additional sidecar completed just now, after which I unplugged the IDE adapter while the jr was on; it caused a reboot.

Still, with pin 20 unjumpered, the jride LED lights up when the jr is off and the ide adapter has power (and the green activity LED on the adapter is also lit).

Mike
MikeModified

Postby Hargle » Thu May 01, 2014 8:44 am

Still, with pin 20 unjumpered, the jride LED lights up when the jr is off and the ide adapter has power (and the green activity LED on the adapter is also lit).

Yeah, that makes sense.

This is why I like DOMs- quiet, cool, fast and can be powered internally using only the 5v jumper, so everything is powered on and off using the main PCjr power switch.

Dumb question: you've tried power cycling the ide adapter's power and the PCjr at the same time? A thought I had was that because you're holding power on the adapter on, the drive itself is held in whatever weird state it was last put in. That could be the reason why when you turn on the jr and the BIOS tries to go out and ID the drive, the drive is already out/still out to lunch and didn't have a chance to reset because its power was never dropped.

Dumb question #2: what are your dipswitches set to? I don't think we've ever explored that one.
Hargle

Postby MikeModified » Thu May 01, 2014 11:29 am

DQ#1 :D Yep, on first, on second, on simultaneously.

DQ#2 RTC is currently off,off,off (no IRQ selected I guess) which were it was when I first turned the jride on and it worked :shock: so it's still there (although I've tried the other settings); ROM is currently set for C800. I've tried the other settings, even in combo with each of the four RTC setting.

My dumb question #1: why does the RTC work with no IRQ selected? Does it matter?

Mike
MikeModified

Postby jmetal88 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:04 pm

MikeModified wrote:DQ#1 :D Yep, on first, on second, on simultaneously.

DQ#2 RTC is currently off,off,off (no IRQ selected I guess) which were it was when I first turned the jride on and it worked :shock: so it's still there (although I've tried the other settings); ROM is currently set for C800. I've tried the other settings, even in combo with each of the four RTC setting.

My dumb question #1: why does the RTC work with no IRQ selected? Does it matter?

Mike

The RTC works with no IRQ selected because the computer is updating its time once by polling the RTC and then keeping track of it independently as long as the computer is on. Enabling the IRQ would just allow the RTC to send an interrupt to the computer, which I'm guessing would only be of use if you wanted the RTC and the computer time to sync periodically instead of on demand.
jmetal88

Postby Hargle » Fri May 02, 2014 11:24 am

jeeze. what else is left to try?
is re-programming the CPLD's the only thing left? If that fixes the problem, then it's a bit scary to me that they could get damaged so oddly/easily.
Hargle

Postby MikeModified » Fri May 02, 2014 11:43 am

jmetal88: Thanks, that makes sense. I'll make sure that it's right.

Hargle: Are we assuming that since it was working correctly that I assembled it correctly? Late last evening, I plugged the ide adapter into an xtide and it wasn't recognized (which may not mean anything). I've ordered a new one anyway and will proceed from there.

Mike
MikeModified

Postby Hargle » Mon May 05, 2014 7:35 am

Are we assuming that since it was working correctly that I assembled it correctly?

I'd think so, considering you saw a sign of life. We can't rule out infant mortality on a component, but I don't know which one could cause that.

We can dig a bit more with software; boot it to a floppy disk and I can give you some instructions to poke around in debug to see if we can poke a register or two.

Hey mike brutman, what's the base address for the IO ports for the HDD we're using on the IDEjr?
Hargle

Postby MikeModified » Mon May 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Hargle wrote:
We can dig a bit more with software; boot it to a floppy disk and I can give you some instructions to poke around in debug to see if we can poke a register or two.

Hey mike brutman, what's the base address for the IO ports for the HDD we're using on the IDEjr?

Sounds good! Appreciate all the help.

Mike
MikeModified

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr Hardware