PS/2 -> PCjr keyboard conversion

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: PS/2 -> PCjr keyboard conversion

Postby jmetal88 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Important discovery: I just found out the keyboard itself keeps track of whether NumLock is set, and if it is, it prefaces each of the extended keys in the group between the main keyboard and the number pad with a SHIFT. So now I'm thinking it might be advantageous to get my original buffer idea working and translate each code directly to the XT set rather than implement a whole set of 'special handling'. But I'll get to that when I get to it, I suppose.
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:20 pm

I cracked the LED problem! And I also cracked the issue of how to disable the interrupts after I receive the first one and finish the process using polling. Reading from and writing to the PS/2 keyboard are both working well now, and after I finish the code to handle the other two LEDs, I can move on to something else.
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:48 pm

Okay, I put the translation table back in, and now I have the LEDs behaving exactly like they do when the keyboard is attached to a real keyboard controller, as far as I can tell. Now I guess I have to decide whether it'll be easier to implement my original buffer idea (which I didn't do well with the first time around, obviously), or translate each key as it comes in, with special handling for multi-byte keys.
jmetal88

Postby Trixter » Thu May 22, 2014 11:49 am

(somewhere in a dark corner, a vintage enthusiast rubs his hands in glee)
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:54 am

Alright, it looks like progress is gonna be quite a bit slower from here on. I got a summer job a couple of weeks ago, and while it's not taking up that much of my time, it is taking up a lot of my energy. It looks like most of the time they'll be giving me Mondays and Tuesdays off, so I'll try to make some more progress then.
jmetal88

Postby Hargle » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:47 pm

quite alright. we've waited 30+ years already, a few more months are no big deal.
just glad to know you're still on it, even at a reduced rate.
Hargle

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:06 pm

Yeah, the big thing that's gonna be an issue is that the PCjr keyboard transmits characters at a much, much slower rate than the PS/2 keyboard. This is why I'm thinking I need to spend the time to get my head around the buffer/delay idea. I want to buffer all the input keystrokes until there's a long enough pause to assume the keyboard is between a make and a break and won't be sending another byte, then inhibit communication from the PS/2 keyboard (already figured out how to do that part with my LED changing code) followed by the translation and transmission of whatever's in the buffer to the PCjr.
jmetal88

Postby MadKingCorduroy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:23 pm

Is there a way to do this backwards? I've been wanting to use the PCjr keyboard on other systems. lol
MadKingCorduroy

Postby jmetal88 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:52 pm

It might be easier to do it backwards, to be honest. You'd be missing some keys.

Anyway, sorry I haven't really done much work on this after figuring out PS/2 interfacing. I've had a bunch of other stuff get in the way: summer job, school, and other projects I had from previous obligations. It might be a while before I pick this up again.
jmetal88

Postby MikeModified » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:34 pm

jharre wrote:
Other chips to consider would be Arduino and Picaxe. I'm not really a hardware guy either, but dabble a bit. The arduino has a free programming environment and lots of inexpensive clones out there. Code to decode the PS/2 keyboard is readily available.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?44518-Arduino-PS2-to-XT-converter&p=340657#post340657

Looks possible?

Mike
MikeModified

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr Hardware