A Peek into the Future?

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: A Peek into the Future?

Postby alanh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:51 pm

JR-IDE's are currently available. $100 fully assembled with connectors but you will need to supply the plastic shell from a donor side-car, your own DoM or drive, and a CR2032 coin cell battery.

The SuperCART idea I didn't think there would be a lot of demand for; especially now that Hargle released the booter disk with cart images.

I did a small ZM31 replacement module I'm calling the TandyMOD+. It's a single PCB with dip pins that replaces only one chip - ZM31 - to provide the Tandy video mode compatibility. You do need to de-solder ZM31 from the main board and that is a bit challenging. But once you have a socket in place of ZM31, this module has a dip switch that turns TandyMOD on and off. It also adds Tandy compatibility when the selected video page is odd (what I call TandyMOD+). More information can be found here: (read the pld file for specifics) including gerbers and eagle files:

https://www.retrotronics.org/svn/jride/trunk/tandymod/

I have assembled extras if anyone is interested. But the desoldering of ZM31 can be a bit challenging.

I planned to do a similar thing for ZM56 in the future to allow turning on RAM fill for the D and E segments previously reserved for cartridges and the large video mode hack I talked about in the thread link above. But I haven't gotten around to it yet.
alanh

Postby Shaos » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:10 am

alanh wrote:JR-IDE's are currently available. $100 fully assembled with connectors but you will need to supply the plastic shell from a donor side-car, your own DoM or drive, and a CR2032 coin cell battery.

Where should I send $100 to get one?

alanh wrote:Just order it through OSHPark or similar service.

Just ordered SuperCART board trough OSHPark (3 items for $23.90)
Shaos

Postby Shaos » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks to alanh - now I have jrIDE (not yet connected) and just got 3 boards for SuperCART from OSHpark:

As you can see it perfectly matches old case from standard cartridge :roll:
Attachments
PCjr-SuperCart.jpg
(136.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Shaos

Previous

Return to PCjr Hardware