PS/2 to PCjr Keyboard Converter - Schematic and Source

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: PS/2 to PCjr Keyboard Converter - Schematic and Source

Postby jmetal88 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:48 am

By the way, I've shipped the first three cables already, so anyone else interested in ordering (James?) should send me a PM. I'll make sure you get one of the solidly constructed ones unless you want the $5 off for one of the 'iffy' ones.
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:31 pm

Spare PCB is now spoken for.
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:16 pm

I think a couple of these should have shown up by now...

Any feedback?
jmetal88

Postby MikeModified » Wed May 06, 2015 6:00 pm

I got mine. Can't decide which other vintage computer to take down so as to set up a jr. :cry:

Soon, though, very soon. :D

Mike
MikeModified

Postby Hargle » Thu May 07, 2015 3:07 pm

I've gotten mine too, but alas, no time yet to hook them up. It may be another week.
They do look great- I think they are well made.
Hargle

Postby James » Fri May 08, 2015 5:31 am

Mine is due in on Saturday so I'll be able to try it first thing Monday morning. I am curious how it works with the keyboard buffer routines on the PCE Combo v.2 cartridge. My guess is it shouldn't make a difference.
-PCjr (1989)-DOS 3.3, Racore Drive II, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, jrExcellerator, Tandy Mod, Serial Card, Combo v2, Config Plus, IBM Parallel Port, Megaboard, Xircom PE3-10BT
-PCjr (2001)-DOS 3.3, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, NEC v20, Parallel Port, Comswap, Xircom PE3-10BT
James

Postby jharre » Fri May 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Mine arrived today in the mail.

IT WORKS GREAT!!!!

Only had it plugged in for a few minutes, but discovered the most pleasant thing: I no longer have to twist my fingers and hold my mouth to the left to get a backslant! Typing a long path to a file on the jrIDE is no longer an exercise in screaming expletives. Well, maybe it was not *that* bad, but this is sure nicer.

An old Compaq keyboard is the first PS/2 keyboard I found. I'll try others later this weekend.

Thanks for my new (and very useful) toy, Michael. :D

<*> Jim
jharre

Postby jmetal88 » Fri May 08, 2015 7:19 pm

jharre wrote:Mine arrived today in the mail.

IT WORKS GREAT!!!!

Only had it plugged in for a few minutes, but discovered the most pleasant thing: I no longer have to twist my fingers and hold my mouth to the left to get a backslant! Typing a long path to a file on the jrIDE is no longer an exercise in screaming expletives. Well, maybe it was not *that* bad, but this is sure nicer.

An old Compaq keyboard is the first PS/2 keyboard I found. I'll try others later this weekend.

Thanks for my new (and very useful) toy, Michael. :D

<*> Jim

Glad to know it works with more than just my own equipment!

Oh, and I just thought I'd post a reminder (I don't know how many people read the post where I mentioned it) but F12 is currently re-mapped to Fn in the code. If anyone's missing F12 too badly and doesn't want to use Fn for anything (Echo is the only thing that comes to mind and I've never used it personally), it's only a two character change to the code (a number in a look-up table) and the PICs can be easily re-programmed.
jmetal88

Postby jharre » Sun May 10, 2015 4:07 pm

Found some oddball behavior today. :shock:

After trying out a Compaq, a couple different IBM, and a MaxiSwitch PS/2 keyboard, I saw that they all exhibit the same thing: the shifted 1-0 on the top row of keys (below the function keys) do not emit the symbols on the keys or much of anything. The other keys on that row do work shifted: the ~, _, and + all are correct.

Since I have keyclick turned on, I could hear that they all "ticked" except for shift-5. Shift-6 is interesting, as it emits a character each time you hit it from the last command typed like the right-arrow key does.

I pick up one of those cheap PIC programmer boards on eBay a while back. Guess I need to learn how to use it and go find the compiler software that jmetal88 mentioned.

<*> Jim
jharre

Postby jmetal88 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:20 pm

jharre wrote:Found some oddball behavior today. :shock:

After trying out a Compaq, a couple different IBM, and a MaxiSwitch PS/2 keyboard, I saw that they all exhibit the same thing: the shifted 1-0 on the top row of keys (below the function keys) do not emit the symbols on the keys or much of anything. The other keys on that row do work shifted: the ~, _, and + all are correct.

Since I have keyclick turned on, I could hear that they all "ticked" except for shift-5. Shift-6 is interesting, as it emits a character each time you hit it from the last command typed like the right-arrow key does.

I pick up one of those cheap PIC programmer boards on eBay a while back. Guess I need to learn how to use it and go find the compiler software that jmetal88 mentioned.

<*> Jim

Wow, really? If that's something that's happening, I'm very surprised I didn't notice it. I'll have to check for myself here in a few minutes.
jmetal88

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr Hardware