Is the Fan Needed?

Hardware questions and modifications

Is the Fan Needed?

Postby Tempest » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:54 am

I was reading an article on the PCjr (http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/201 ... ot-to.html) and it mentioned that the fan isn't really necessary unless you plan to make 'heavy use' of the disk drive. My question is: what would be considered heavy use? My PCjr has a jrIDE so most of the time I'm playing games off a hard drive, but I do play the occasional disk based game now and then (never for more than a half hour or so though). If I could safely disconnect the fan that would be great since I always found it kind of loud.

Any thoughts?
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Re: Is the Fan Needed?

Postby Brutman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:55 am

Heat is the enemy. While technically the fan is there to keep the drive from damaging the media during an intense workout, it also helps cooling in general. (The chips under the drive would get no airflow otherwise.)

Put your hand over the power supply even on a system with a fan and you'll notice it is warm.

I wouldn't remove it.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Tempest » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:55 am

Somehow I thought that would be the case. Besides, if the fan isn't going I think the system is broken somehow. :)
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Postby GHiero » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:14 pm

Okay, I have been persuaded to turn my fan back on. Even with the fan on, the system is not loud by IBM standards.
GHiero

Return to PCjr Hardware