JR-IDE Rev.B & Rev.C + RPi-Zero Module

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: JR-IDE Rev.B & Rev.C + RPi-Zero Module

Postby James » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:03 pm

KenG wrote:The pricing seems very fair. I was planned on using a laptop hard drive. I have a few laying around from when I used to rebuild laptop computers. What additional hardware would I need? I thought the board could supply that level of power and I might just need a 3.5 to 2.5 ide adapter.

Disk On Modules are a much better choice. They easily fit in the sidecar, are cheap in sizes that you would ever need for a DOS computer and are very fast.
-PCjr (1989)-DOS 3.3, Racore Drive II, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, jrExcellerator, Tandy Mod, Serial Card, Combo v2, Config Plus, IBM Parallel Port, Megaboard, Xircom PE3-10BT
-PCjr (2001)-DOS 3.3, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, NEC v20, Parallel Port, Comswap, Xircom PE3-10BT
James

Postby KenG » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:12 pm

Ok, I see that on eBay. I assume having one too big gets you into the long pause for DOS to count free space problem? If so, what size do you recommend. I just downsized my compact flask vis parallel port from 128mb to 32mb for that reason, it was taking almost a minute. Now about 10 seconds.

Does one of these just plug in? Adapter? power?
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby James » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:26 pm

I am using 128 MB DOMs on both my PCjrs. If I had to do it to again I might have gotten a 512 MB. I am using DOS 3.3 so I have it broken up into 4 32 MB drives. The DOMs are fast which helps with loading programs and file functions. A laptop drive would probably be much slower than a DOM?

The DOM pushes onto the pins. My DOMs do not support connector power (pin 20) but I adapted the DOMs power cable to to fit the two pin power connector.
Last edited by James on Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
-PCjr (1989)-DOS 3.3, Racore Drive II, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, jrExcellerator, Tandy Mod, Serial Card, Combo v2, Config Plus, IBM Parallel Port, Megaboard, Xircom PE3-10BT
-PCjr (2001)-DOS 3.3, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, NEC v20, Parallel Port, Comswap, Xircom PE3-10BT
James

Postby KenG » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:42 pm

OK, I see two types. One has a separate plug for power the other doesn't. I think the one has only 40 pins and the other 44. If I get the 44 pin version, can I just plug it in? I have been using DOS 5.0. I thought it would be more compatible with my newer computers for transferring files. I seem to have to reformat the compact flash card on the Jr to get it to,work. If I don't, the Jr sometimes doesn't see the files. One the Datafab, I haven't been able to,get fdisk to work, even though I have int 13 support enabled. I like the Datafab, but being able to boot from a large drive would be great. Messing with the Jr reminded me how difficult, yet fun computers used to be. They are much easier to use now, but that seems to have taken some of the fun/adventure out of it. My first computer was a Vic 20' then a C128 before I got a turbo PC clone.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby Trixter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:18 pm

KenG wrote:Ok, I see that on eBay. I assume having one too big gets you into the long pause for DOS to count free space problem? If so, what size do you recommend. I just downsized my compact flask vis parallel port from 128mb to 32mb for that reason, it was taking almost a minute. Now about 10 seconds.

I wouldn't get too hung up on that; the delay is about a minute, but it's only once after you boot up. After that, it's instantaneous.

I'm using a 4GB DOM with my Rev. 1 jrIDE, two 2G partitions, IBM PC DOS 2000. Works great.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby alanh » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:35 pm

The JR-IDE has a 40 pin header. Make sure you don't get a 44 or you will have to get a cable adapter.

Most DoMs accept power on the key pin (20). There is a jumper on the JR-IDE that connects +5V to pin 20.
alanh

Postby KenG » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:44 pm

Ok, when you build one for me, please connect that.
KenG

Postby marklwil » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:56 pm

Hi Alan. I would like to reserve an assembled board (any Rev), if still available. I've been wanting one of these for several years to add hard drive capability to my Jr. Impressive skill you have.
-Mark
marklwil

Postby KenG » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi Alan, any update on when these will be available?
KenG

Postby alanh » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:39 am

The CPLDs from China are on a long lead. It will be a few more weeks.
alanh

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr Hardware