jrIDE and DOM problem

Hardware questions and modifications

jrIDE and DOM problem

Postby Meknapp » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:48 pm

I finally got a chance to try out my jrIDE and the 16GB Kingspec DOM I purchased. When it boots up and detects the drives, for both Drive 0 and 1 it says something like "This drive is too old to use LBA addressing".

I find it odd that it says this for both drives, and it has me wondering about the Master/Slave vs. Cable Select setting. Has anyone seen this behavior or have an idea of what's going on? When I get another chance, i'll try troubleshooting some more and post a followup.
Meknapp

Re: jrIDE and DOM problem

Postby Brutman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:24 pm

(I moved your reply to a new thread as it was not related to the previous thread ...)

You would get that message on a drive that only supposed CHS addressing. No DOM should have that limitation. Also, I can't tell from your posting but it sounds like the single DOM is reporting in as both Drive 0 and Drive 1? If only the DOM is connect that would be a significant problem.

Does this jrIDE work with a normal IDE drive? Have you tested it with anything else besides the DOM?
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Meknapp » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Sorry, bad wording on my part.

Yes, a single DOM is being detected as both Drive 0 and 1. I haven't had a chance to try another drive yet.
Meknapp

Postby Hargle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:15 am

The BIOS sends an ID command out to the drive, first as the master and then as the slave. The data packet returned from the drive (if it exists) tells the BIOS if it supports LBA addressing or not. Since one drive is showing up as both master AND slave AND the data being returned is obviously bogus, there is most certainly something wrong with your hardware. It could be a build issue, or it could be the DOM not being compatible with the jrIDE. I don't understand why some DOMs work and others don't. Please post your DOM part/model number and maybe a picture of it so we can check it against our and possibly build a table of drives that do and do not work. We had a similar table on the XTIDE wiki page, does something like that exist here?
Hargle

Postby Brutman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:38 am

My thoughts exactly - bad hardware. It should only show up as one drive. Does the jrIDE BIOS correctly report the name of the DOM? If you see a pattern of corruption in the name that's a definite sign that something is wrong with the cabling or hardware.

As for a list of working hardware, we can collect that in a thread and I'll post it on the jrIDE page after we get a few reports.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Meknapp » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:59 pm

The jrIDE wasn't identifying any name for the DOM at all - it was blank. It definitely looks the problem is the DOM. I've tried two old Maxtor IDE drives I had laying around and, and it correctly identified them both.

Right now the problem I have is I'm using PC-DOS 3.3, and it's version of FDISK won't let me delete any "non-DOS" partition. Therefore, I can't delete the existing partitions on them. One drive did have free space, and I was able to create a partition and format it (with /s). Unfortunately, I can't boot to it from the Boot Menu. I'm guessing that the problem is the new partition is beyond the 1,024 cylinder limit. the jrIDE BIOS even seems to be displaying an icon that may indicate this.

The only other PC I could put these drives in has a dead power supply, so I'm going to have to get creative. (I probably have a disk sector editor on floppy somewhere!)

So, back to the problem at hand. The DOM that is not working is a Kingspec Industrial 16GB DOM. The only numbers on it are 4008813150 & 13828823315. The characters preceding the numbers are Chinese, so I'm not sure which number represents what.

Thanks for your help!
Meknapp

Postby Hargle » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:21 am

I'm guessing that the problem is the new partition is beyond the 1,024 cylinder limit. the jrIDE BIOS even seems to be displaying an icon that may indicate this.

The BIOS doesn't look at or care about partitions, that's an O/S function. If the BIOS is unable to display the model number of your DOM, then it's not going to get any other good data off the drive either.

The problem is most definitely the DOM itself. Not that the DOM is necessarily bad, it's just incompatible with the jrIDE. That DOM might work flawlessly in a different machine.
Somewhere on this forum I've posted the specs to at least one of the DOMs I've used (also from Kingspec) which did work fine. I'll search around and see if I can find it, to at least start collating good and bad model numbers. I'm sorry that your DOM doesn't work- that's really frustrating to spend money on something to not have it do what it is intended to do.
Hargle

Postby Hargle » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:03 am

Found the old post talking about my DOMs that work.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=180&start=440#p1934

and this link from another user to one on amazon:
Manufacturer Transcend
ASIN B00138PHV0
Item model number TS1GDOM40V-S
https://www.amazon.com/TRANSCEND-FLASH- ... b+vertical

Do note that I have an early revision of the jrIDE and I believe there have been changes from 40 to 44 pin connectors on the PCB along the way, so this information may be stale, but it's a start.
Hargle

Return to PCjr Hardware