Source for Berg connectors

Hardware questions and modifications

Source for Berg connectors

Postby KenG » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:31 am

Does anyone know where PCjr type Berg connectors can be purchased. I want to try making some cables. PCjr to standard RGBI, Serial, and possibly joystick. I have one each of the RGBI and serial converters, but they don't seem to be readily available. The projects like Jr-IDE cartridges are beyond my skill level, but these should be doable.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Re: Source for Berg connectors

Postby jmetal88 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:54 am

I got the connectors themselves for my keyboard converters from Digikey. They are TE Connectivity's AMPMODU MT Series:

http://www.digikey.com/products/en/conn ... ageSize=25

EDIT: Actually, I forgot, I *found* them through Digikey using a search like the one above, but actually ordered them from Mouser after I knew the part number.

The shielding is a little more difficult to find, but I ordered mine for the 6-pin from NTI (you will probably have to do some Googling to find out where to get other sizes from):

https://www.connectorpeople.com/Connect ... 1/102990-1

I think there is also supposed to be some sort of shim/insulation material that clips on to the connector before the shielding goes on, but I was unable to locate it, so I just wrapped mine in a layer of electrical tape before I snapped the shield around the connector.
jmetal88

Postby KenG » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:46 pm

OK, I will do some searching. Thanks for the information.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby Trixter » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Let us know if you have any success. I almost bid on a cable, then stopped myself because I thought "hey, I can just make one", but then I had doubts because I had no idea what the connectors should be.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Return to PCjr Hardware