Hello

Say hello here!

Hello

Postby Stan511 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:40 am

I had a PCjr back in the day. I was poking around the net looking for PCjr stuff and found this great site.

My favorite story about the PCjr was when I bought my first harddrive. 20MB!!! How could I ever use all of that space (I said at the time)! It was the size of a toaster and cost about $700.

In my searching, I found quite a few sites that talk about what a "collosal failure" the PCjr was. I hate to hear that. It was what it was back then.

Before the PCjr, I had a VIC20. Even that was cool at the time. I wrote all kinds of programs on the VIC20 and the PCjr. One great memory is a party that I had, where we played a horse racing drinking game that I wrote on the VIC20. All it was was 6 or 7 block characters that moved up and down the screen in random increments. At each leg of the race people had to drink something based on their position in the race. Couldn't have been a simpler, kind of lame, game, but I'll tell you - everyone was really into it and we had a great time.

I still have the PCjr (and the VIC20). Haven't booted it up in years, but I'd like to get it running again. It has 4 or 5 of those extension boards plugged into each other on the side of the machine.

Anyway - it's great to see people still talking about it. I don't know how much I'll contribute here, but I'm glad to say hello to you all.
Stan511

Re: Hello

Postby Brutman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Welcome Stan,

It seems to be that you need to plug it in (gently - it's been sleeping 20 years) and see how it works!

Do you remember the details on the hard drive? Was it an SPC DiskIt or something like that?

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Postby Stan511 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:24 am

I really don't remember details of the harddisk, but it was one that was made for the PCjr. I think it might have had a sidecard for connection to the machine, but I'm not sure. It was cream colored and was maybe 6" tall by 4" wide and 10" deep as I remember it. Pretty funny how things have exploded in capacity. When I bought it, I thought I'd never use all that space (20MB) and I don't think I ever did come close to filling it back then. These days I routinely deal with single files that are far bigger than 20MB.

I'll dig it out one of these days and see it if fires up.

One other "funny" thing I remember about the PCjr was one day I was having trouble with the monitor. I had the bottom of the monitor off and had the monitor sitting in my lap. When I plugged it in, I got a small shock from the bottom of the monitor. I always wondered just how close I came to electrocuting myself that day.
Stan511

Return to Introductions