Hello, all

Say hello here!

Hello, all

Postby Spankmd » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:52 pm

My name is John and I live in the Washington, DC metro area. I am an old computer nerd. I decided to get a Jr for my ten year old to learn programming basics (and so I can torture him playing Kings Quest). I have an extensive home lab (2 each ps/2 model 95 and 90, a 8573 p75, a 9533 ps/2 e, a loaded bladecenter e (3 PowerPC blade, 11 xeon) and my pride and joy, the intellistation power 285. I am always on the lookout for new oddities (my 5 year old is learning mouse and kbd basics on a 701c with the butterfly keyboard). Let me know when you clear out the basement, I may be interested.
Spankmd

Re: Hello, all

Postby Brutman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:27 pm

You've got a BladeCenter E in your house! Now that is hardcore ... which of the Power Blades do you have? I've used all of the JS series and I did a lot of work using the Cell (QS2x) Blades.

What is the draw to the Jr? Did you own one at one point in time, or does it just fit the 'oddball' profile well?

-Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Spankmd » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:41 pm

I have two js 20 and one js 21 just loaded six 7.1

As for the Jr, I always wanted one when I was a kid ( and I definitely fit the oddball profile)
Spankmd

Postby Brutman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:49 pm

'Oddball' was to refer to the PCjr, not you you. ;-0

You should try to find a QS22. It's nominally a Power based blade, but it uses the same CPU as the PlayStation 3. It has two on board; with the SPE co-processors the floating point performance can not be beat. And there will be no more, so it's going to be a rarity. ;-0

As for the PCjr, I'm sure that you will be able to find one soon enough. You have plenty of PS/2 experience, so you know what it's like to not be able to use industry standard parts. The PCjr will fit right in, although it is a few orders of magnitude slower than what you have in the house already.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 am

Spankmd wrote:My name is John and I live in the Washington, DC metro area. I am an old computer nerd. I decided to get a Jr for my ten year old to learn programming basics (and so I can torture him playing Kings Quest). I have an extensive home lab (2 each ps/2 model 95 and 90, a 8573 p75, a 9533 ps/2 e, a loaded bladecenter e (3 PowerPC blade, 11 xeon) and my pride and joy, the intellistation power 285.

Damn! I feel like getting the Band-Aids out :mrgreen: But seriously, what do you use that kind of computing power for? Lyapunov space computations, Pi calculations? Speaking of the latter, I wrote an Extended BASIC program a few years ago on my old TI 99/4A that calculates 5200 decimals of Pi (the max I could squeeze given that I had to work with 16K of RAM) and it took 3.5 days to calculate :lol: As for the former, I recently finished an assembly program on the same TI computer and it took it 36 days :shock: to compute one image (256X192 pixels which is the maximum TI resolution). Interestingly, the same program in BASIC on the PCjr took only 14 days at 640X200 resolution! Either I'm a lousy assembly programmer or there is a huge technological leap between the TI and the PCjr ;)
Vorticon

Postby Spankmd » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:52 pm

Sadly, I only do light programming. I'm using the three power blades for an IDS system, based on SNORT. The xeon blades I use for diaster recovery testing. The ps/2 systems have aix and os/2. I have one of the most obsolete networks on the planet.
Spankmd

Postby Vorticon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:35 pm

You're not kidding :lol: As long as you are having fun, right ?
Vorticon

Return to Introductions