BBTER (Was: Introduce yourself!)

Say hello here!

BBTER (Was: Introduce yourself!)

Postby bbter » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:50 pm

I recently got the itch to get the ol' jr out and try to get it running again. It was stored for probably 10 years, in my ex's crawl space. I have found everything but the monitor and power cords! I am hoping that the box containing these items was mistakingly taken by her when she vacated the property, have my kids checking on that. If not, I may be seeking help in replacing those items, or have jr items for sale or donation.
jr was boxed up when it developed a floppy drive problem. I think the drive needs to be timed / realigned? It has 4 side cards. printer, expansion power, 512 k memory and speech.
As my father worked at IBM at the time I was using jr, I probably have every book and manual produced for the machine. And, as I remember, maybe some kinda cool IBM internal use programs. I also have probably 2 years worth of news letters, I think they are called "The pc jr report"?
I am glad to see that there are still some folks that still have an interest in jr's. I am hoping to remain one of them.
bbter

Re: Introduce yourself!

Postby Brutman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:37 am

Welcome aboard!

What region are you in? I know of a machine in the Raleigh area available right now. And I just rescued two machines and a monitor (and gave away one set) a few weeks ago in the San Francisco area.

Floppy drive problems are difficult for normal people to fix. You should be able to clean the heads and lube the rails of the drive. The Eugene Oregon PCjr club had some detailed directions for doing this that I can post. Any drive 20+ years old needs to have that done, and that might be enough to clear the errors up. If the drive is spinning at the wrong speed it might be possible to replace the belt, if you can find a replacement belt. (High quality rubber bands anyone?) If it truly is an alignment problem then most mortals don't have the equipment to deal with it, so replace the drive and save it for spare parts down the road.

I'd be interested to see your manual collection .. we're always trying to fill in the gaps. I work at IBM now, but I started a few years after the Jr was dropped and I didn't start looking for Jr related items until about 8 years ago. Many of the original team who worked on the first generation of PCs at IBM is long since gone, and the documentation is impossible to dig up anymore.
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: Introduce yourself!

Postby bbter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:21 pm

I live in northern Colorado. No word yet, if my kids were able to find my missing pieces.

I would be interested in reading that article on cleaning and lubing a floppy drive. Thanks for the advice.

My jr library:
IBM - Guide to Operations
Personal Computer - PCjr
IBM - Basic
Personal Computer - PCjr
IBM - Technical Reference
Personal Computer - PCjr
IBM - DOS
IBM - Disc Operating System
Users Guide
IBM - Guide to writing Basic Speech Programs for the IBM PCjr
Samscomputerfacts - IBM PCjr Model 4860
Sams - IBM PCjr Assembler Language
Maketalk! - Speech Management Software

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s349 ... 0_0945.jpg
http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s349 ... 0_0946.jpg
bbter

Re: BBTER (Was: Introduce yourself!)

Postby Brutman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:39 pm

I have to dig the article out. It probably needs updating too - in the year 2008 we can include color pictures with instructions like that. ;-0

And wow, I don't know if you noticed, but I'm having a little difficulty learning to use the forum software. I was able to split your introduction into it's own thread, but I confused the subject lines a few times. I think all is better now.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby bbter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:44 pm

Nope, didn't notice... Haven't posted to too many forums. Would hate to try to run one.....I would like to think I am still teachable, maybe I can figure out where to put my thread in the right subject.

If anything in my "library" interests you, let me know. I would be happy to make it available.
bbter

Postby Brutman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:19 pm

Here is the original article, freshly scanned:

http://brutman.com/PCjr/Eugene_Club_Doc ... eaning.pdf

It could use some refreshing and color pictures, but that can happen another time.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby strollin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:47 pm

If your floppy needs to be re-aligned then it will require an oscilloscope and a special disk called, appropriately, an alignment disk. Most likely a new floppy drive would cost less than the alignment disk! If the cleaning instructions don't help then you will most likely need to replace the drive.
strollin

Postby jason » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:19 pm

strollin wrote:If your floppy needs to be re-aligned then it will require an oscilloscope and a special disk called, appropriately, an alignment disk. Most likely a new floppy drive would cost less than the alignment disk! If the cleaning instructions don't help then you will most likely need to replace the drive.

The jr requires a double density floppy drive, correct? Is there any way to make a high density drive act like a DD drive? Sorry, I'm new to reading up about all this stuff and haven't figured it all out yet, hehe.
jason

Postby strollin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:25 am

The jr used a double-sided, double density drive. I have seen mods to be able to use a 720k 3.5" drive on the jr, not sure about the 1.44M 3.5" drives.

Here's a link to a mod that uses a 1.44M 3.5" drive as a 720K drive on the jr: http://www.micro-zone.com/720floppy.htm
strollin

Return to Introductions