Hello from Richmond

Say hello here!

Hello from Richmond

Postby Shabba » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:44 pm

Although this is technically my second post, I'd still like to say hello. I find myself on these message boards quite often for the obscure and old things in life. This is no exception. I purchased my PCjr at a yard sale last summer while in the midst of a nostalgic period. My very first computer experience was in 1982 when I was in 2nd grade. My school had Apple IIe computers and it began the sickness. Fast forward several years and a large amount of expendable income later and I find myself shopping for an old Apple IIe to play with. My wife and I spent several weekends at yard sales last summer looking for an Apple and I stumbled onto this PCjr. Remembering them from my childhood (wanting this AND a Commodore 64 but being denied both), I made an offer and bought an almost complete unit including the cpu, monitor, printer and all the documentation from new. I think it even has the original sales receipt...but of course, no power brick.

So I've been on this nostalgia trip and can't get off. I bought a large IKEA computer desk at a thrift store and have my Commodore 128 and Atari 800 set up to play with. I want to set this PCjr up next and, as soon as I get hold of a power brick, I will. An Apple IIe eventually made it's way into my home and has been a blast, but the real fun will begin when I pick up a NIB Apple IIgs WOZ edition this weekend. Oh, and when I get the power brick for the PCjr.

I've been looking through my old childhood boxes in hopes of finding my original edition of King's Quest in the original box. I could play it if the PCjr works... :D
-Colin
Shabba

Re: Hello from Richmond

Postby balsino » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi Colin,

Did you ever get your PCjr up and running? I have a box of PCjr power bricks, so if you need one, let me know, I can certainly spare one. Did you ever get King's Quest going? You may not know this, but in addition to the IBM PCjr version of King's Quest, it was re-released by Sierra on nine 5 1/4 inch floppies with better graphics than the first version, 3 years later in 1987. And it will work on a single diskette drive PCjr. It's probably easier (and cheaper) to find that version then original one, that is if you never were able to find your original King's Quest!
balsino

Return to Introductions