Hello from canada

Say hello here!

Hello from canada

Postby gerrybrophy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 am

Hi, I'm Gerry Brophy

I just picked up a pcjr system the first week of jan 2013.

Wanted one for a while, say... 30 years. So I got one now.

It came with a good setup,
the color monitor
2 joysticks
microsoft booster that has been modded for 512k so I have 640k total
mouse
parrallel port sidecard
power sidecard
modified floopy controller card and an additional external 3.5" disk drive, which I havn't been able to get working yet though it does spin
colorpaint cartridge but it is DOA
cartridge basic
keyboard- non chiclet with wire so no batteries required
bunch of original sierra disks and other games and some software.

I have since added an external parrallel zip drive and successfully partitioned and install programs on it. Just need to get the full driver now for palmzip.

Got my daughter to play mixed up mother goose. The joysticks are very kid friendly. She thinks it's the newest computer. Technically it is new to me anyways.

It's a real nice system.

I grew up with a Sanyo Mbc-550 and a green mono monitor. We had 2 games. Great computer to learn programming on though.
gerrybrophy

Re: Hello from canada

Postby Brutman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi Gerry,

Welcome to our elite club and congratulations!

Are you sure the ColorPaint cartridge is dead? You know you have to start it by entering the 'g' command at a DOS prompt.

You will probably want to modify the parallel port to make it bi-directional. It's an easy upgrade and it is noticeable when using something like a Zip drive when you are reading files.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby James » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Hey Gerry,

I am kind of new here myself, atleast officially, as I visited ocassionally in the past. I have been spending my time going through the past messages. I am truly amazed by the depth of knowledge of the PCjr that the people on this board possess.

It's good to know there are people still discovering the PCjr for the first time. I got mine used in the late 1980's, used it until around 1993, lent it out and then put it in storage. I had been toying with taking it out of storage for years but it was this forum and the functionality that the jrIDE would give my PCjr, that caused me to retrieve it and set it up. I have a temporary hard drive set up until my Disk on Module comes in at which point I will start to install programs.

What Sierra games do you have? I am a big fan of Space Quest. I want to give Leisure Suit Larry a try one day. I prefer the humorous Sierra games to the straight adventure games. My brother was a big fan of Kings Quest but I never got into it.

James
-PCjr (1989)-DOS 3.3, Racore Drive II, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, jrExcellerator, Tandy Mod, Serial Card, Combo v2, Config Plus, IBM Parallel Port, Megaboard, Xircom PE3-10BT
-PCjr (2001)-DOS 3.3, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, NEC v20, Parallel Port, Comswap, Xircom PE3-10BT
James

Postby gerrybrophy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:28 am

No I wasn't sure if it was dead. So I did try the g at the dos prompt. It kinda booted then crashed everytime with a half color paint & garbage screen.

Then it occured to me that I was using dos 3.3 to boot and not the dos 2.1 that came with it. Tried it again this morning... and it works. Excellent. Nice program. I would've love to have had a mouse and this program in the 80's. I had an equally good art program called picasso on my sanyo 550 but no mouse. Try drawing a circle with a joystick. Seems to only support 4 colours though from a pallete of 16. Is that normal?

I will definatly look into the parallel port upgrade you mention. I got the full driver for the zip for klaus in Germany so it's well worth it.

Last thing is to figure out how to get the 3.5 inch drive to work.

The conrtoller board was definatly modified already , although what technique I cannot say but many non original wires have been soldered. The data cable is split to the 5.25inch drive then continues with a separate power lead to the external 3.5 inch drive. That drive does spin but I can't get it to read anything. And if I unhook the 5.25 " drive I just get a error H on bootup.

Brutman wrote:Hi Gerry,

Welcome to our elite club and congratulations!

Are you sure the ColorPaint cartridge is dead? You know you have to start it by entering the 'g' command at a DOS prompt.

You will probably want to modify the parallel port to make it bi-directional. It's an easy upgrade and it is noticeable when using something like a Zip drive when you are reading files.

Mike
Last edited by gerrybrophy on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerrybrophy

Postby gerrybrophy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 am

Liesure suit larry is well worth your time. Space quest is excellent and kinda similar humour, sq2 & sq3 also. finished all those games, well worth replaying

I apparently have kings quest 16 colour version on (9) 3.5 " disks. I havn't tried it yet on the pcjr. I did tey it in vga years ago.

other sierra originals I have in front of me anyways on 3.5" disks.
kings quest 3
thexder
space quest 2
siplheed (this is very good)
mixed up mother goose

I got all these in a lot from someone clean house for a good price. So it't cool.

James wrote:Hey Gerry,

I am kind of new here myself, atleast officially, as I visited ocassionally in the past. I have been spending my time going through the past messages. I am truly amazed by the depth of knowledge of the PCjr that the people on this board possess.

It's good to know there are people still discovering the PCjr for the first time. I got mine used in the late 1980's, used it until around 1993, lent it out and then put it in storage. I had been toying with taking it out of storage for years but it was this forum and the functionality that the jrIDE would give my PCjr, that caused me to retrieve it and set it up. I have a temporary hard drive set up until my Disk on Module comes in at which point I will start to install programs.

What Sierra games do you have? I am a big fan of Space Quest. I want to give Leisure Suit Larry a try one day. I prefer the humorous Sierra games to the straight adventure games. My brother was a big fan of Kings Quest but I never got into it.

James
gerrybrophy

Return to Introductions