Hello from the desert southwest.

Say hello here!

Hello from the desert southwest.

Postby jharre » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi, everybody!

I'm Jim and I've been fooling around with 8-bit micros since the late '70s when I bought a TRS-80 with level I BASIC and a whopping 4K (!) of memory.

Through the years my experience has been with various models of the TRS-80 line, the IBM PC, XT, AT, and PS/2 lines. The IT field became my career and I retired at the end of last year after spending nearly 20 years working for a small non-profit in the Florida Keys.

The PCjr hadn't caught my attention until Mike Brutman was practically giving away a system on Vintage-Computers. So, now I've acquired a PCjr and seem to have caught "Mike's Mania". Thanks to alanh, a jride with a Disk On Module is attached to my PCjr and makes a world of difference in usability.

<*> Jim
jharre

Re: Hello from the desert southwest.

Postby James » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Welcome Jim,

It was the jrIDE that caused me to pull my PCjrs out of storage. I originally had the PC Enterprises SCSI hard drive but gave it away around 1993. Grew to regret this over the years as I contemplated setting up the PCjr but felt a floppy only unit would not be worth it especially considering how functional it was with the hard drive. I even bought a parallel CF card reader with the hopes of using that but never got around to trying it out until after I got the jrIDE. The jrIDE changed all that and now have both the PCjrs, my original and another I purchased later set up.
-PCjr (1989)-DOS 3.3, Racore Drive II, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, jrExcellerator, Tandy Mod, Serial Card, Combo v2, Config Plus, IBM Parallel Port, Megaboard, Xircom PE3-10BT
-PCjr (2001)-DOS 3.3, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, NEC v20, Parallel Port, Comswap, Xircom PE3-10BT
James

Return to Introductions