Hello from the South.

Say hello here!

Hello from the South.

Postby Maximillion95 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:03 pm

First off, Wonderful site. Lots of great information on here and I hope more to come in the future.

My first computer was a generic 386 that was my parents. They bought it back around '92 and I used it up until middle school when it died.
So I Learned DOS at an early age and wet my appetite for vintage computing and computing in general.
I started learning from the internet about computers whenever I could, but I soon discovered that there is a lot of bad/misleading information out there.
I wanted to learn how to do it right so I started from the beginning of computer history to figure out how to better understand computers in general.
It appears that this strategy worked, because computer repair and networking seem to come to me more easily than to other people i know.

I am now going to school to earn my associate degree in computer networking.

I took interest in the PCjr completely by chance, I found a few videos online about it and found fascinating.
I have had my Jr for 3 years now and I wanted to see what kind of interesting and enhanced things I could do with it that go far beyond the machines original intention.

My Jr specs:
MS-DOS 3.31- FAT16B Support (I am looking to purchase a JrIDE in the near future).
JrConfig 3.10
640K of RAM.
NEC V20 Upgrade
Power Sidecar
Bi-Directional Parallel port
Speech Attachment
3.5" Backpack Drive
Xircom Parallel NIC

I was a little surprised to discover that there was still a community out here for the Jr. My research revealed that there was once a thriving community even well into the late 1990's- Long after the Jr was discontinued.

Well I am glad to find that there is still a community about this little machine, And I hope I can be helpful to its efforts.

Max
Maximillion95

Re: Hello from the South.

Postby geoffdaddy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:35 pm

Maximillion95 wrote:First off, Wonderful site. Lots of great information on here and I hope more to come in the future.

My first computer was a generic 386 that was my parents. They bought it back around '92 and I used it up until middle school when it died.
So I Learned DOS at an early age and wet my appetite for vintage computing and computing in general.
I started learning from the internet about computers whenever I could, but I soon discovered that there is a lot of bad/misleading information out there.
I wanted to learn how to do it right so I started from the beginning of computer history to figure out how to better understand computers in general.
It appears that this strategy worked, because computer repair and networking seem to come to me more easily than to other people i know.

I am now going to school to earn my associate degree in computer networking.

I took interest in the PCjr completely by chance, I found a few videos online about it and found fascinating.
I have had my Jr for 3 years now and I wanted to see what kind of interesting and enhanced things I could do with it that go far beyond the machines original intention.

My Jr specs:
MS-DOS 3.31- FAT16B Support (I am looking to purchase a JrIDE in the near future).
JrConfig 3.10
640K of RAM.
NEC V20 Upgrade
Power Sidecar
Bi-Directional Parallel port
Speech Attachment
3.5" Backpack Drive
Xircom Parallel NIC

I was a little surprised to discover that there was still a community out here for the Jr. My research revealed that there was once a thriving community even well into the late 1990's- Long after the Jr was discontinued.

Well I am glad to find that there is still a community about this little machine, And I hope I can be helpful to its efforts.

Max

Welcome! I'm also in the South, as are a couple of other people (I'm in the Huntsville, AL area). Whereabouts are you?
PCjr: 10MB RACore 01 hard drive expansion, Hotshot 640kB RAM expander, optical mouse, Xircom PE3, speech sidecar.
geoffdaddy

Re: Hello from the South.

Postby Maximillion95 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:06 pm

I live in the Baton Rouge, LA area.
Maximillion95

Return to Introductions