Say hello here!

Re: New Member

Postby Brutman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Walid,

For now I think we will just send that around by email.

Here's the reasoning ..

We have a lot of paper in the collective group here. Some of it is scanned, some not, but potentially it could all be online. The problem is that it is all covered by copyright - the original authors hold the copyright.

It is probably harmless 20 years later, but I would still like to get permission from the copyright holders before posting anything publicly. If I can get a hold of the original author of the PCPowerPak doc and software, I'd post it all .. (And I'll start trying to contact people to make it happen.)

One thing I know we can post immediately is all of the PCjr Club newsletters from the Eugene PCjr Club. That's just a matter of getting them scanned. (It is on the todo list.)

If anybody out there has a personal connection to the authors of things we want to post, speak up and lets use that as an intro ...

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby EHungate » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:11 pm

Makes sense to me.
EHungate

Postby Vorticon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:54 pm

While I admire your principles Mike, I personally think that one has to use some common sense when it comes to matters such as these. Given that the information in that newsletter is dated 1989 and could not possibly be of any commercial value whatsoever, I would make a good faith effort at contacting the copyright holder, but failing that I would then have no qualms at posting the information with the disclaimer that it will be immediately removed if requested to do so by the original author.

It is through die hard forums such as this one that the few remaining PCjr owners can obtain much needed information, and not having that information posted in my book is a shame. With every year that passes, more of that information is becoming irretrievably lost, which is a tragedy...

In any case, thank you so much Elmer for emailing me the Tandy modification. I have already ordered a couple of the 74S86 chips from Mouser and I am looking forward to running some of my games in Tandy mode.

Walid
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Well, I said I would try to get permission first, not that I wouldn't do it. So let's withhold judgment until after we see what happens ... To me common sense says ask first, because people are more likely to get upset if you do it first without asking.

As for preserving the information - I think I've spread quite a few paper copies around already, so I'm doing my part. There are enough people out there with paper copies, and I'm sure in the future there will be a few more. I'd really like to scan everything even if it is not publicly posted because sending the scans around is so much easier, but there is just limited time to get it all done.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Believe me, all the effort you put on this site is incredibly appreciated as it is a unique resource. Thank you.

Walid
Vorticon

Postby Jim Thomson » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:21 am

One thing I know we can post immediately is all of the PCjr Club newsletters from the Eugene PCjr Club. That's just a matter of getting them scanned. (It is on the todo list.)

Mike,
I've already scanned them and a bunch of others that Brian sent me. I just have never got around to distributing them.
I've got some vacation coming in a couple of weeks I'll see about getting them organized and burned to a CD.
Regards
Jim
Jim Thomson

Postby Brutman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:04 am

Do you have a complete set? How far along are you?

You did a great job with the jrNewsletters. I really wanted to do the PCjr Club newsletters this past x-mas break, but I didn't make much of a dent. I know we can definitely host those online to make distribution easier.

If you are missing anything let me know.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Brutman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Going back a few days to a loose end ... I added another page to the main site and I'm starting to post scanned copies of documentation that I have. I am evaluating each doc individually before posting it to avoid running afoul of somebody who might have deep pockets and is easily offended. ;-0

Here is the direct link: http://brutman.com/PCjr/pcjr_docs.html

If you have something that should be posted there, send it to me and I'll add it.

Jim - I have a bunch of scanned docs from you. I know that you have your own web pages, so I don't want to step on toes and I haven't posted anything from you.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Jim Thomson » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:13 am

Mike,
I've never set up teh web page since i moved to the Toronto area.
You can post anything that was on the disk I sent. I meant for it to be shared.

Regards
Jim
Jim Thomson

Postby Brutman » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Jim - will do. And if you to borrow a few pages from the main site, just send me something and I can host it for you. I think the URL to the pages isn't going to change for a long long time.
Brutman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Introductions