Faster than a speeding bullet more powerful...

Open discussion for anything computer related

Faster than a speeding bullet more powerful...

Postby southernbob » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:24 pm

IBM has a new technology for computers that that will increase the speed of computers to the unthinkable. Now only
for super-computers but in a few years maybe it will be in home computers. See a description here:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exaflo ... in;content
southernbob

Re: Faster than a speeding bullet more powerful...

Postby Brutman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:21 pm

That article is a little light on details, but the machines exist - I know because I was involved in some of the earlier ones.

BlueGene/L held the fastest super computer record from 2004 to 2008. I was a software developer on that team, working on everything from low level debugger interfaces to the command line program used to run jobs. After BlueGene/L I started working on the Cell chip, which was the basis of the machine that took the title from BlueGene/L. And now I work quite a bit with the Power7 chip, which is a phenomenal chip.

The key to 'exoscale' is width .. instead of having tens of thousands of processors, these things are moving towards millions of processor cores. We're at the point where we're going to have to move the CPU power into the memory to cut down on the data transfer time.

While wild to think about, they are nearly impossible to program for. :-)
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to General Computer Discussions