PC XT in da house!

Open discussion for anything computer related

PC XT in da house!

Postby OldComputerGuy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:40 am

Found a PC XT for sale for $55 and grabbed it. It has a hard drive and at some point someone replaced the full height 5 1/4 inch drive with a half height 5 1/4 and half height 3 1/2. There are a bunch of cards in it, too, that I haven't attempted to identify yet. I figured the price was too good to let it pass by as these older machines have increased a lot in price since I first started in this hobby. I was hoping it would be an XT 286, but no such luck. Rumor has it that the XT 286 actually runs faster than an AT at the same clock speed due to having faster memory chips on the motherboard. I have never tried to verify this, though.
OldComputerGuy

Re: PC XT in da house!

Postby Brutman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 am

XTs are generally nice machines. They are widely compatible with everything, which is the complete opposite of the PCjr. They have 8 slots instead of five, which makes them more versatile than the original PC 5150. They don't have a cassette port, but nobody is perfect - only the PCjr and the original PC can brag about that.

The XT-286 is interesting, but it's a compromise. You get the faster CPU and system performance and it is faster than an AT at the same clock speed because of the zero wait-state RAM. But they didn't last too long .. they were late in the PC series and the clones wiped them out.
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to General Computer Discussions