PCjr gaming - What runs and what doesn't.

Software related questions

PCjr gaming - What runs and what doesn't.

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:46 am

I thought it might be good to have a thread of good and bad experiences getting games to run on the PCjr.

I upgraded my PCjr to 640k using an SRAM chip, as you can see if you look in the hardware forum, and I've been testing out a lot of stuff since then.

Here are my results so far. Bear in mind I have an NEC V20 installed, so if I list something that runs and normally requires a 286, that's why it runs. Also, I've done the 74ls86 Tandy graphics mod.

What runs:
Sharedata's Wheel Of Fortune, New Third Edition
Sharedata's Jeopardy, Second Edition
Epic Megagames' Jill of the Jungle (only in 4-color mode, and really slow, but the fact that it runs at all surprised me).

What doesn't:
Epic Megagames' Overkill (Title screen displays in 16 beautiful colors, then the game complains it's out of memory. It may work with a V20 and the 736k RAM hack.)
Bullfrog's Populous (By all accounts, this should run, but perhaps it's checking for a genuine Tandy 1000. I haven't tried it in CGA mode yet.)

I'll add more later.
jmetal88

Re: PCjr gaming - What runs and what doesn't.

Postby Vorticon » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:56 pm

You can add to that list The Sentinel and Red Storm Rising. On the other hand, Silent Service I & II, Ultima V, Star Fleet I, Battle Chess, The Eagle's Nest, Conflict in Vietnam, Gunship, War In Middle Earth, Hardball II, Cyrus chess, Anacreon, Conflict in Middle East, All Infocom text adventures, The Art of War at Sea, Tycoon, as well as Flight Simulator 2 and 3 all work just fine, albeit slowly for some. Many can use the Tandy modification for Tandy graphics if available. These all work with the V20 processor and 640K of RAM as tested on my setup.

Walid
Vorticon

Postby jmetal88 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Looks like Ultima IV will run in Tandy mode on a PCjr with 640k and a Tandy mod, but the game must be started using a T after the 'ultima' command.
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Holy crap, I got Overkill running!

This thing looks seriously gorgeous on the PCjr.

I wonder if my 736k upgrade is working after all? It's either that, or I just had a configuration error with jrconfig.sys.

Only thing is, since it was designed to run on a 286, it's super, super slow. :lol:

Kinda makes me want to try that clock rate modification. I'll have to look into that and see what I need.

EDIT: Alright, I did the speed-up mod (well, my own non-switchable version of it, since I didn't have the exact parts listed) to my PCjr. Overkill is still too slow to be enjoyable, but it is a little bit more playable now.
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:48 pm

OK - In case anyone wants to know the settings that make Overkill run: jrconfig.dsk must be loaded rather than jrconfig.nrd, and the options specified must be -v32 and -s10. Why it won't run with values less than 10 on the -s flag, I don't know, but it won't.

Unfortunately, loading the guest.exe ZIP disk driver gives me an out of memory error again, so it looks like I can only play the game over INTERLNK for the time being.

EDIT: Overkill will run with guest.exe loaded if the jrconfig parameters are -v32 and -s8.

Also, it turns out the .nrd version of the driver does work with this, but a ram disk size does still need to be specified.
jmetal88

Return to PCjr Software