JrConfig Configuration and Other Questions

Software related questions

JrConfig Configuration and Other Questions

Postby Tempest » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:12 am

Ok, since my jrIDE card is on its way, it's about time I got my PCjr configuration files working. I had started to fiddle around with jrConfig, but after getting several unstable configuration files, I gave up. Can someone help me make an AutoExec.Bat and Config.sys file for my jr? I have a Pcjr modded with the Tandy Mod, a Parallel Port sidecar (for my 3.5" Backpack drive), and (soon) a jrIDE sidecar which will be hooked up to an old IDE hard drive. Since I'm going to be using my jr for playing games, I'd like to configure it for having the most memory possible available for game, the speediest memory configuration (I think this involves putting DOS into the slow memory), and the best compatibility possible. Can someone help me out or at least point me in the right direction?

I also have two other questions:

1. While I love the IBM memory count/test boot screen, it takes forever to count all 640K. Is there a way to speed this count/test up a bit?

2. A hardware question (wrong forum I know): Is it better to use the built-in speaker in the Color Monitor or to hook up a pair of external speakers? Which would be better?
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Re: JrConfig Configuration and Other Questions

Postby jmetal88 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:11 am

1) Do the SpeedUp mod (if you have a V20 or an 8MHz+ 8088). There's a text file describing it in the PCjr Club Archive that Mike has. Other than that, the only way would be to program your own complete replacement BIOS that skips the check and just assumes it's all there.

2) I think external speakers are unnecessary. The PCjr doesn't exactly have a hi-fi sound system. :lol:
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 am

As for the initial questions:

Read all the documentation that came with JrConfig, that will help you decide how much video RAM you need, whether you want a RAM disk, and all that stuff. DOS will load into slow memory all by itself, all you have to worry about is whether you want JrConfig to take up the rest of the slow memory, and with what.
jmetal88

Postby Tempest » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 am

Ok, another question then. How many games won't run if you use the memory above 640K (using the /L option)? The file mentions two, but are there many others?

Also, what is the correct address to use with the /G option (read date and time from the clock chip) if you're using the jrIDE?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby jmetal88 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:44 am

Tempest wrote:Ok, another question then. How many games won't run if you use the memory above 640K (using the /L option)? The file mentions two, but are there many others?

Also, what is the correct address to use with the /G option (read date and time from the clock chip) if you're using the jrIDE?

Best way to figure out what will run and what won't is to try and see. :)

JrConfig cannot currently read the jrIDE clock, you have to use the utility that was written for the jrIDE.
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:10 pm

For the record, I'm not trying to dodge your question about the games when I say that. I've just never seen any kind of list anywhere, and everything I've tried that's capable of running on the PCjr has run well. Except Zeliard, that has some really funky keyboard-handling issues.
jmetal88

Postby Tempest » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:19 pm

That's a fair answer. Obviously it can't be much if people haven't reported it. The file said Duck Tales and California Games BTW.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby Tempest » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:14 am

I tried to run Bionic Commando but I'm getting a stack overflow error. I know this game works on the PCjr as my friend had it as a kid so I'm guessing it has something to do with the /L command and the extra memory. Can someone else check this and see if they can get it to work? I have a soft spot for this version.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby jmetal88 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:00 pm

The only copy of Bionic Commando for DOS I can find online seems to only include the EGA support files, so I don't think I can check it.
jmetal88

Postby Tempest » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:30 am

Ok I noticed that as well, there were no .cga files in there. The game supports CGA, I know it does (it uses that lovely orange, red, green, black pallet). Maybe the copies online are just missing the file?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Next

Return to PCjr Software