Colorpaint File Conversion

Software related questions

Colorpaint File Conversion

Postby jrsamples » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:21 pm

I have been on a seemingly endless quest for a long time to somehow convert some old images I created long ago with the Colorpaint cartridge.

I've tried different approaches:
Downloading screen capture programs - these never seem to be able to dump a Colorpaint screen.
Photographing the screen - works but not a pixel for pixel conversion.
Video capture to an Amiga using the Amiga DCTV device. They don't call NTSC Never Twice the Same Color for nothing.

My latest approach is to use DOSBox to run Colorpaint from a cartridge dump. Colorpaint loads fine, but for some reason all the menus work except the File menu! Hence I can't load any of the files. Frustrating!

I was however able to load some images in DOSBox created with Spectrum Holobytes "The Art Studio" paint program.

Does anyone have any clues to why the File menu would not work running in DOSBox?
jrsamples

Re: Colorpaint File Conversion

Postby Brutman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:07 am

I use DOSBox regularly but have not tried loading a cartridge image - how do you set that up?

I'll try it here ...
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jrsamples » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:15 pm

I set machine=pcjr in the preferences file.

then mount a drive to where the cartridge rom dump is.

then the command boot = colorpnt.jrc (or whatever the name of the cartridge dump is).

Everything seems to work except the File menu.
jrsamples

Postby Brutman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:07 pm

I have not even tried it but I'll bet I know what the problem is. If you are 'booting' to use that cartridge then ColorPaint is not going to detect that DOS is present. And thus, no file menu.

I'm going to look to see if there is a way to have the cartridge image in the memory map but not using the boot option. That should work better.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jrsamples » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 pm

yeah I was wondering if it is something like that.
Normally on the PCjr you pop in the Cartridge and then still boot up DOS.
After you got a DOS prompt you would type "g" and that would kick off Colorpaint.
I guess the "g" stood for graphics or something.
jrsamples

Postby Brutman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:58 pm

I asked over at Vogons because I was curious ... you probably want to read the thread there directly:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=33740

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jrsamples » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Wow I just tried this. It worked fantastic! I was able to load up all my images and make screen captures of them.
Interestingly Colorpaint was apparently designed to display only about a floppies' worth of files in the file menu, so I had to swap some out of the folder to get at all of them.

Thank you so much! You don't know how many years I've been trying to get these images in some more universal file format!

Even though the images I created with these programs are nothing special, I think of them kinda like the computer art equivalent* of daguerreotypes, they have a certain value just because they reflect the technology at a point in time. I mean the number of images in the world created on home computers dating back to 1985-1986 that still exist is probably pretty small. So I think it's something worth preserving.

Since the images created with Colorpaint and The Art Studio both had proprietary formats in some ways they show the state of things before it was widely recognized that people might attach some value to the data they were creating with all this new software.

Ok, I'm going on and on now, can you tell I'm pretty happy about this?

*I was going to say "the computer art analog of daguerreotypes" but that seemed kinda backwards.
jrsamples

Return to PCjr Software