pcjr games

Software related questions

pcjr games

Postby Iudex » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 am

Could anyone recommend a good site to download pcjr-ready games. I have a few files that write to disk (on a pentium 3) and load but appear to be tandy versions and do not run correctly or at all on the pcjr (fine in dosbox). Games I am interested specifically are tapper and striker, any other resources would be appreciated.

Thanks
Iudex

Re: pcjr games

Postby James » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:05 pm

What are the specs on you PCjr, memory and drives specifically?

The DOS game archives is a good source of information on available games. They have copies of freeware and shareware games and the places to buy other DOS games such as gog.com

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/category/platform/

GOG.COM sells DOS games packaged with DOSBOX but they can be stripped down to their original DOS form and played on the PCjr (providing your PCjr has the proper resources). I downloaded Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry from GOG.COM and stripped the games down to their original form and are running early versions of the games on the PCjr. The game packages are in the $5-10 range.

The early Sierra games, Space Quest, KIngs Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc supported the PCjr's 16 color graphics and sound
-PCjr (1989)-DOS 3.3, Racore Drive II, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, jrExcellerator, Tandy Mod, Serial Card, Combo v2, Config Plus, IBM Parallel Port, Megaboard, Xircom PE3-10BT
-PCjr (2001)-DOS 3.3, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, NEC v20, Parallel Port, Comswap, Xircom PE3-10BT
James

Postby Vorticon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:37 pm

I have something like 20 different games on my PCJr hard drive currently, all ready to play. If you'd like, I can set up the ftp server on my Jr and you can log in as a guest and download all you need. I have nothing sensitive on my machine, so you can check out all the files :) Let me know.
Vorticon

Postby Iudex » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks for the replies,

My PCjr (recent purchase from ebay) is has legacy "blinkenlights" and the internal card bumps me up to 384k. I also have tecmar captain and cadet attached. The computer reads 384K but when I boot with dos with legacy refresh games that did not have enough memory run. I do not have tecmar disks however. My problem striker crashes at the end of the first mission and the verion of tapper I had, had video issues. Both were downloaded from the internet.

On a different topic, I have .img files for games, how do I get them to work on the floppies?

FTP the games would be great. I am running ubuntu 11.10, what ftp program would you suggest?

Thanks
Iudex

Postby James » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Do you have jrConfig in your config.sys? The POST will count all the memory but it will not be usable unless you run a program like jrconfig. It should be able to replace the original Tecmar software atleast af ar as memory is concerned. It is available in the downloads section.
-PCjr (1989)-DOS 3.3, Racore Drive II, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, jrExcellerator, Tandy Mod, Serial Card, Combo v2, Config Plus, IBM Parallel Port, Megaboard, Xircom PE3-10BT
-PCjr (2001)-DOS 3.3, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, NEC v20, Parallel Port, Comswap, Xircom PE3-10BT
James

Postby Vorticon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Iudex wrote:On a different topic, I have .img files for games, how do I get them to work on the floppies?

FTP the games would be great. I am running ubuntu 11.10, what ftp program would you suggest?

Thanks

A quick Google search should give you direction on how to transfer .img files to real floppies. Your problem however is that unless you have a 3.5" drive connected to you PCjr or your PC has a low density (360K) 5 1/4" floppy drive, this is not going to work.

I have fired up the ftp server on my PCjr, and you can connect to it at the following IP address: 98.227.142.52 port 2048 . Use the username of anonymous and the password will be your email address.
To use ftp, just open up a console session under Ubuntu and type ftp and go from there. It's text based, but it works just fine. There are many GUI based ftp programs for Ubuntu available, but I don't have a specific recommendation.
I will leave the server up through this weekend. If you have any issues connecting, please let me know. Feel free to download anything you want :) This of course goes to any one else here as well.
Vorticon

Postby James » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:12 pm

I looked at the manual for jrConfig and it supports the Tecmar memory management as well as the Tecmar clock functions. You shouldn't require any special software for the parallel port as LPT1. What other functions does the Tecmar Captain/Cadet have?

There appear to be Windows programs that let you open img files in a virtual floppy drive. Once you open the virtual floppy in Windows you should be able to copy the files using the method you previously copied files to you PCjr with. The only problem might be if a floppy needed to be self booting. As Vorticon suggested Google should give you the name of programs that do that.
James

Postby Vorticon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:00 am

I tested the ftp server from work today, and while I can connect and log-in, I get a connection error 425 when I try to list the directories. Is this a set up issue with the server on the PCjr or a router issue?
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:21 pm

If you have a firewall between your cable modem/DSL modem and the PCjr you need to use port forwarding on the modem to enable new connections to come in.

Right now you are probably correctly forwarding port 2048 to the PCjr. But besides the FTP control connection port, there is a wide range of "ephemeral" ports that are used for data connections, and those have to be forwarded too. When a remote machine makes a connection it is on a new port, and that request has to be forwarded too.

You can tell the FTP server what range of ports to use - look at FTPSRV_PASV_BASE and FTPSRV_PASV_PORTS . On the cable modem find a way to forward a block of ports with that same range to the PCjr.

Also be sure to set FTPSRV_EXT_IPADDR.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:03 pm

I double-checked all the settings and everything seems set correctly. On the router side, all the ports seem to be forwarded correctly as well...
I was able to connect and list the directories from my Android phone using active ftp mode. With passive mode however, I can connect but not list the directories.
Not sure why that is the case...
Vorticon

Next

Return to PCjr Software