pcjr games

Software related questions

Re: pcjr games

Postby Brutman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:17 pm

Did you flip the terms around?

"Active" means that the FTP server tries to connect back to the client machine to make new data connections.

"Passive" means that the FTP client initiates the connections.

If you can connect to the FTP server on the control port, then passive mode should work (assuming the router is doing all of the port forwarding.) If you use active mode then the FTP server tries to make the data connection to the client, but might have to fight to get through firewalls to the client. That usually doesn't go well.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Nope. On the Android client, passive mode does not work, only active mode...
I saw that you tried connecting to the server recently. Were you able to list the directories?
Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:41 pm

I just tried and couldn't connect; did you take it back down?

I don't really need the games, I just wanted to see what PCjr-compatible games you found worthy enough to keep around semi-permanently.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Vorticon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:07 pm

Yes, I took it down because I am currently out of town. I'll put it back up on Tuesday footnote a few more days.
Vorticon

Postby Vorticon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:09 pm

OK it's back up now, but I changed the port. You should be able to connect to it at the following address: ftp://98.227.142.52:2021/
I'll keep it running for a few days.
PS: Chrome seems to have a problem with that address. Firefox and IE work fine however.
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Chrome has a nasty habit of making multiple connections and it sends a parameter on the FTP raw list command that it should not send. It is assuming Unix. My test copy of the FTP server has that fixed, as well as a few other bugs.

I took the liberty of leaving the test version for you in your incoming directory. :-)
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:26 am

Ah great! I'll check it out tonight. Thanks.
Vorticon

Postby Vorticon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:42 am

I checked out the new version for ftpsrv and it works fine with Chrome now. However, I noticed that Chrome connects and then disconnects with every command sent to the server. It is transparent from the user side, but I was wondering if that is normal behavior.
Vorticon

Postby jmetal88 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:56 am

I think one of the standalone FTP clients I've used does the same thing in regards to connecting before sending a command, and disconnecting after it is completed.
jmetal88

Postby Brutman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Vorticon wrote:I checked out the new version for ftpsrv and it works fine with Chrome now. However, I noticed that Chrome connects and then disconnects with every command sent to the server. It is transparent from the user side, but I was wondering if that is normal behavior.

Most browsers do that. HTTP is a very "transactional" model, and web browsers tend to treat FTP as a transaction too. Which is kind of silly, but really doesn't make much of a difference.
Brutman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr Software