Recommended DOS version

Software related questions

Recommended DOS version

Postby jason » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:29 pm

Which version of DOS should I attempt to track down to use with my jr? I currently have 2.1. Is there any advantage to going to a later version? Also, wherea are the patches that are mentioned for making any later than 3.3. work with the jr?

I have 640k and I'm looking at getting one of the parallel port ethernet adapters for it as well..just cause it would make me laugh pretty hard to have my jr on the network with my 3GHz machine :lol:
jason

Re: Recommended DOS version

Postby Brutman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:33 pm

DOS 2.1 is small, but primitive. Really bad. I can't stand using it anymore. DOS 3.3 is about the lowest form of DOS that I can tolerate. No patches are needed to run it.

DOS 5 is the first 'modern' DOS, and it will run on the Jr if you patch it. Patches are on the PCjr pages. The only bad thing about DOS 5 is that on hard disk systems it periodically tries to recompute the amount of free space on the hard drive, and that takes more than a few seconds to do on an 8088 class machine. It's painful and you'll think that the machine locked up. I wish it didn't have that behavior.

If you are going to get a parallel port Ethernet adapter go for the Xircom PE3-10BT. Axatax (Jeff) discovered it years ago. If you get to that point you can run NCSA Telnet (which also has FTP) and my TCP/IP programs. Performance with an Ethernet adapter blows away the serial port .. you'll never transfer files by serial port again.
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: Recommended DOS version

Postby jason » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:07 pm

I have seen mention of patches needed for certain versions of DOS to work on the PCjr, can anyone point me to them? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks
Jason
jason

Return to PCjr Software