WTB: DOS v2.1 & v3.3 floppies

Software related questions

WTB: DOS v2.1 & v3.3 floppies

Postby brian8599 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:56 am

I'm looking to purchase confirmed/working DOS v2.1 and DOS v3.3 floppy sets. I have several boxes/sets but none seem to read on 3x PCjrs. I'm unsure if the PCjr floppy drive(s) are bad or if I just have lousy media. I have several PC-DOS v2.1 and v3.3 sets but none seem to work. I'm still waiting on a 5.25" FDD to test them. (which given the nature of older hardware, who knows if that'll work <g>).

Like the other poster in another similar thread, I'm going to a better storage solution in the future but for now, I've just got a bunch of floppy disks. I *hope* Linux can archive them using a 5.25" FDD in an older PC.

Please PM me if we can work something out.
-Brian
IBM PCjr w/ 640Kb RAM, IBM 4863 Display, IBM 7257 keyboard
(recapping and *hopefully* a jrIDE kit in a side-card)
brian8599

Re: WTB: DOS v2.1 & v3.3 floppies

Postby Brutman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi Brian (and Eric),

I've been a terrible forum host lately - I have been very busy at home with no end in site. Normally I'd offer to help out by mailing diskettes out, but that's not going to be possible for a few months. Maybe somebody else can volunteer.

As to your specific problem though - the likelihood of three different systems having bad drives is pretty low, unless they were all stored in a shed and used for target practice. The diskettes you are trying might be the problem.

Have you cleaned the heads and lubed the rails?
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: WTB: DOS v2.1 & v3.3 floppies

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Brutman wrote:Hi Brian (and Eric),

I've been a terrible forum host lately - I have been very busy at home with no end in site. Normally I'd offer to help out by mailing diskettes out, but that's not going to be possible for a few months. Maybe somebody else can volunteer.

As to your specific problem though - the likelihood of three different systems having bad drives is pretty low, unless they were all stored in a shed and used for target practice. The diskettes you are trying might be the problem.

Have you cleaned the heads and lubed the rails?

My drive is working as it should. To make sure, I cleaned and regreased it.
It reads Exploring The IBM PCjr fine and isn't loud about it, which is why I've concluded that my DOS disk is just degraded. It's just one of the disks that are being a piece of crap, anyway.

Anyway, I the issue on my side's been resolved. Would you mind deleting that thread, Mike?
PCjr:
Eric

Return to PCjr Software