Nethack

Software related questions

Nethack

Postby Tempest » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:18 am

What's the last version of Nethack that will run on a PCjr? The newest ones require a 386 or better (which is kind of surprising).
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Re: Nethack

Postby Trixter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:03 pm

I never found a version that worked on 808x but then again I never looked that hard. What I grew up with, and still occasionally play, is not NetHack but it's parent, Hack. That works just fine. Hack 1.0.x is very easy (the amulet is on a maze level) but Hack 3.6.x is what I mostly play and it's much harder to win. Not nigh impossible to win like Nethack, just harder.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:37 pm

I forgot what version I used, but I did play an older version of NetHack on Dosbox running as a PCjr.

If I ever get around to getting my PCjr to do things, I'll try to see if I can get that version to run on it. I think there's a chance it will run on a real PCjr with a V20 and 640k RAM, but I'm probably wrong. I know for a fact it won't run with the PCjr's stock specifications.

I guess I'll have to test it someyear.

I love NetHack and I really do hope it can run on some sort of Jr, but I'll keep my doubts and try to not get /too/ excited about playing it on there.
PCjr:
Eric

Postby Trixter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:48 am

Hack, either the v1.x or v3.61 branches ported by Don Kneller, work on any PC with 384K or more. The only issues are disk space, because the cave levels are persistent and take up roughly 4K... once you hit the 26th level, that's 104K which won't fit on the same disk with the .exe even if you pklite it. Version v3.x was the latter, refined one and the config file can be worked a bit to specify B: for certain files and the operating system will prompt you to switch disks ("Insert disk for drive B", etc.) so that makes it possible, if clunky.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Return to PCjr Software