Windows 1.0 on Jr

Software related questions

Windows 1.0 on Jr

Postby Corey986 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:27 am

So I'm starting to workout my exhibit for VCF east...

I'm doing an Intel exhbit...
I plan on have a 4004 running a calculator
My Scelbi 8H with 8008 running Galaxy
My Rev-0 Altair running 8k basic off paper tape
My Sol-20 Helios II running PT Dos
and I'm thinking for my PCJr to run Windows 1.0 to show the progression of software.

Now the big question, do we know if Windows 1.0 works? I don't want to run 3.0, this only works if it's 1.x for the exhibit. I think there was a Tandy graphics version of windows. Hopefully I don't need to make the Tandy graphics mod.

My JR has a JRIDE so I have a hard drive and ram, I guess I need to find an approperiate serial mouse also.

Thanks,
Corey
Corey986

Re: Windows 1.0 on Jr

Postby jmetal88 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:24 am

I want to say it didn't run when I tried Windows 1.1 (nobody had uploaded the 'real' 1.0 yet at the time I did), but it's been a while since I was trying different versions of Windows on the Jr, so I don't remember for sure. I know 3.0 ran, and I'm pretty sure 2.1 ran as well, though.

When I did have Windows running on the Jr, I noticed some problems with the keyboard handling, though. Notably, I could type a backslash because the ALT modifier wasn't done correctly in Windows. Slightly off the topic, does anyone know if there's a PCjr keyboard driver for Windows 3.0 or earlier that actually does handle that correctly?
jmetal88

Postby Brutman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:29 am

I don't know anybody that ran Windows on a PCjr. Ever. People did it after mass storage devices became available, but it's like putting a navigation unit in a 70s car.

And yes, I realize that the jrIDE is a cheat too ... but mass storage on a PC is not anywhere near as alien.

A PCjr at an exhibit should be doing something that a PCjr would have actually done. The MS Flight Simulator running in one of the higher resolution graphics modes available only on the PCjr would make a good demo. ColorPaint is actually not a great demo because it does not use the high color modes available on the PCjr.

Remember, a PCjr would have used DOS 2.1 when it shipped (if it had a floppy).
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Corey986 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:22 am

Brutman wrote:I don't know anybody that ran Windows on a PCjr. Ever. People did it after mass storage devices became available, but it's like putting a navigation unit in a 70s car.

And yes, I realize that the jrIDE is a cheat too ... but mass storage on a PC is not anywhere near as alien.

A PCjr at an exhibit should be doing something that a PCjr would have actually done. The MS Flight Simulator running in one of the higher resolution graphics modes available only on the PCjr would make a good demo. ColorPaint is actually not a great demo because it does not use the high color modes available on the PCjr.

Remember, a PCjr would have used DOS 2.1 when it shipped (if it had a floppy).

Good point, I guess I need to create a disk of MS Flight Simulator and also maybe I should remove my JRIDE for VCF.

Cheers,
Corey
Corey986

Postby Trixter » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:29 am

Brutman wrote:A PCjr at an exhibit should be doing something that a PCjr would have actually done. The MS Flight Simulator running in one of the higher resolution graphics modes available only on the PCjr would make a good demo. ColorPaint is actually not a great demo because it does not use the high color modes available on the PCjr.

I agree the hardware should be running something the PCjr actually did at the time. Unless marked otherwise, systems should try to represent history; running Windows was not something people did with a PCjr. I don't see the need to remove the jrIDE -- A small note about what it is would be interesting to patrons. If you have MIke's latest BIOS flashed, you can leave the jrIDE attached and still use cartridges and 128kb bootable disks.

If you'd like to crib liberally from the PCjr exhibition I did at VCFMW two years ago, please do; materials are at ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Softwar ... Kits/PCjr/ with some background and pictures at http://trixter.oldskool.org/2013/10/03/ ... arter-kit/ . There's some software there too to save you the trouble of trying to find PCjr software, such as the correct version of Flight Simulator (the later bootable versions claim to work but actually don't).

If running MFS, I recommend running the looping demo. MFS will present two video modes to choose from, marked "low-res" (160x200x16) and "high-res" (320x200x4 with a custom palette); they both run at the same speed so pick whichever looks best to you.

ColorPaint does use the extended 640x200x4 mode, which makes it "PCjr-specific", but it wasn't a typical use of the system. Mike lived through its era using one so he would know better than I, but I would imagine the most "typical" use of a PCjr was running Homeword so the kids could do their homework on it. When I used a PCjr at friends' houses it was in atypical ways: Composing or transcribing music in Music Construction Set, or playing games (maybe that was more typical, heh).
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby GHiero » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:53 pm

Trixter wrote:I agree the hardware should be running something the PCjr actually did at the time. Unless marked otherwise, systems should try to represent history; running Windows was not something people did with a PCjr. I don't see the need to remove the jrIDE -- A small note about what it is would be interesting to patrons. If you have MIke's latest BIOS flashed, you can leave the jrIDE attached and still use cartridges and 128kb bootable disks.

If running MFS, I recommend running the looping demo. MFS will present two video modes to choose from, marked "low-res" (160x200x16) and "high-res" (320x200x4 with a custom palette); they both run at the same speed so pick whichever looks best to you.

Actually, MS Flight Simulator supports four graphics modes on the PCjr. Depending on the monitor he has, he can display 640x200 Color Composite, 640x200 B&W Composite, 160x200 16-color RGB and 320x200 4-color RGB. Not only that, it supports extra memory. Microsoft really did right to the PCjr. for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2 (2.12 is the last version Itried for for the PCjr, it works great) and the Booster sidecar.
GHiero

Postby Trixter » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:12 pm

You're correct about four total modes, but the first two are identical to regular CGA, so where's the fun in that? :-) The 640x200 composite color mode is just 160x200x16 anyway, using composite color artifacting.

Of all four modes, the most "interesting" is the 320x200x4 with custom palette, since it is a rare look at CGA 320x200x4 without typical ugly CGA color palettes. My favorite is the PCjr 160x200x16 because the RGB monitor is more crisp than composite output, and the RGB colors look better (true blue for water, cyan for sky, green for ground, etc.). Just my opinion, of course.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Return to PCjr Software