Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Software related questions

Re: Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Postby Tempest » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:16 am

If this disk works then I can probably install DOS 5 since I have all the files on some other disks I made and can copy them to the DOS directory. This should work since I don't have to boot from those disks.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Postby Trixter » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:12 am

You will need to patch the DOS on the hard drive after it's there (it does not inherit the patch from the floppy).

Can you boot your DOS 5.0 floppy on your non-PCjr system before patching?
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Tempest » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:11 am

Trixter wrote:Can you boot your DOS 5.0 floppy on your non-PCjr system before patching?

That's a good question, I'll have to try that.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Alright, I just had time to test it out, and that was the disk image I was thinking of, but I had remembered incorrectly about putting the patching instructions on the disk (instead it has instructions for flashing the jrIDE BIOS). It has DEBUG on it so you can follow the manual patching directions that are out there somewhere, but you'd have to look for them. I'm thinking maybe I should try updating the disk with the automatic patching utility, if I can.
jmetal88

Postby Tempest » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:38 pm

So this disk image isn't already patched? Can you upload one that is and with the config.sys file modified? I'm wondering if that may be part of the problem?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:39 pm

No, it's patched. I just didn't put instructions for patching on it like I thought I did.
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Just so I'm clear: I mean I can literally write this image to disk on my 486 box, walk over to my PCjr, put the disk in, and boot up to DOS 5 with no intermediate steps. The only reason I mentioned updating the disk was because I thought it might be beneficial to have the patching utility already on it to ease the process of setting up your hard drive after you boot.
jmetal88

Postby Tempest » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:32 pm

IT WORKS! Not sure what was wrong with the other images.
Can you post the other disk images? I'm not 100% sure my DOS 5 disks are correct. Like I said, they *look* ok, but they didn't boot so I'm wonder how correct the files really are.

For some reason FDISK is making each drive 2MB bigger than the size I put in. For example I want a drive that is 1032MB to make the DIR go faster, but if I put in 1032 it makes a partition that is 1034. Why does this happen? If I put in 1030 it says it makes a 1032MB partition, but is it really 1032?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby Tempest » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:36 pm

I decided to make the C: the entire 2GB. It doesn't take that much longer to DIR (44 sec vs 26) and it's just easier.

When I tried to run the patchdos program on the C drive it gave me a fatal error. Do I have to copy the files from all the DOS disks to C:\DOS first or is something else the matter?

It appears the DOS 5 disks I had made are no good.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:46 pm

Tempest wrote:I decided to make the C: the entire 2GB. It doesn't take that much longer to DIR (44 sec vs 26) and it's just easier.

When I tried to run the patchdos program on the C drive it gave me a fatal error. Do I have to copy the files from all the DOS disks to C:\DOS first or is something else the matter?

It appears the DOS 5 disks I had made are no good.

When you made the C: partition, did you do a FORMAT C: /S on it afterward? I know the patch program won't work unless the system files are present, and my boot disk should be enough to get your system files on by using the /S switch on a FORMAT command. But, to be perfectly honest, I've never tried the patch program on a hard drive, so I don't know what to expect of it. I used to use DOS 5 boot floppies to load parallel ZIP disk drivers, but I've been using Compaq DOS 3.31 since I got my jrIDE.

By the way, my other DOS 5 disk images are the unmodified OEM 720k install images, meaning the files on them are still packed and would need to be extracted before use (which may be difficult if you can't run the installer). Would that still help?
jmetal88

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr Software