ColorPaint

Software related questions

Re: ColorPaint

Postby Tempest » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Ah that's the problem. I'm using MS-DOS. Oh well, I'll just have to find another program to test the mouse. Any suggestions?
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:44 pm

If he's using the disk images I gave him it should be IBM DOS.
jmetal88

Postby Tempest » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:10 am

Ok I got ColorPaint to work with my DOS 3.3 boot disk, but the mouse didn't work. I don't know if it's the mouse (shouldn't be, it's new), the adapter, the PC (the serial port pins were bent pretty bad but I think I got them all straightened out), or ColorPaint itself. I'll try and find a mouse driven DOS program and see if the mouse works there.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby Brutman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:10 am

What mouse are you trying to use?

ColorPaint knows how to talk to a Microsoft serial mouse or a Mouse Systems mouse. The Mouse systems mouse is similar to what I have on the logo of the web page. You might find a newer one that speaks the same protocol. You do not use a mouse driver with ColorPaint; it knows how to talk directly to those two devices and that is all.

If you want a quick sanity check you can use a communications program like Procomm and set it to the same serial port as the mouse. Moving the mouse around should cause "noise" in the communications program. I would start with 1200 bps.

Finally, you are aware that the PCjr BIOS will change the ports that are assigned to COM1 and COM2 depending on if there is a modem installed in the internal slot? A lot of old software that uses the COM devices will get confused by the PCjr, hence the COMSWAP and COMREST programs or command line flags on device drivers to flip the port assignments around. If you are not aware of this quirk do some reading on the main web page.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Tempest » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:22 am

Just a no-brand serial mouse I picked up cheap on ebay. Maybe that's the issue. Can I load the CuteMouse driver THEN run Colorpaint?

I removed the modem, but ColorPaint still doesn't recognize the mouse. Not a big deal, I'll find another program to use with it.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby Brutman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:30 am

I was very specific for a reason - Microsoft serial mouse or Mouse Systems serial mouse. Circa 1984. If it doesn't speak that protocol, then it does not work. And ColorPaint talks directly to the mouse; you can not use a mouse driver.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Tempest » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:36 pm

Ok so that explains it. I'll just have to try a different program to test the mouse.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Previous

Return to PCjr Software