Convert a .IMG or .360 to files using dosbox?

Software related questions

Re: Convert a .IMG or .360 to files using dosbox?

Postby Sharkey1331 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:52 am

Thanks for the awesome info everyone! I have confirmed, using the boot command and DOSbox, that these are in fact "booter" games/images... Now I just need to try to get my old 486 machine running enough to create floppies.

I think the 486's floppy drive must have a loose drive belt or something? Because it doesn't seem to always be able to spin the disc at the proper speed. I think that the disc media spin motor is a steper drive? Or is that only for the read/write head motor… My theory is, if it uses a stepper drive for the rotating of the desk, then it should always spin the proper speed – unless something is mechanically wrong.
IBM PC Jr. NEWB! Parallel sidecar, Hotshot II (soon to be replaced with JRide)

Also, check out my clone of the Altair 8800micro Clone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19zdzP ... yX5JoOO4qA
Sharkey1331

Postby Brutman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:05 am

Stepper motors are used for moving the heads. They are never used for continuous spinning of the media.

Many later drives are direct drive and do not have a belt. Why do you think the drive is not spinning at the correct speed?

If you have a copy of COPYIIPC the /t option will spin the drive (with a diskette inserted) and tell you want the detected RPM rate is.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Sharkey1331 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:40 am

Don't have that sw yet.. I suspect the drive is slow because I can hear it spinning the disc in its envelope, sounds like it is slowing down to an almost stop
IBM PC Jr. NEWB! Parallel sidecar, Hotshot II (soon to be replaced with JRide)

Also, check out my clone of the Altair 8800micro Clone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19zdzP ... yX5JoOO4qA
Sharkey1331

Previous

Return to PCjr Software