Arachne?

Software related questions

Arachne?

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:01 am

I know this isn't PCjr specific, but I've been wondering about this for some time.

Have any of you had any luck even tried runningArachne on your PCjr?

For some reason, I have a hunch that it could work with an NEC V20, expanded ram and graphics disabled, or even a stock cpu, but I could be wrong and that's why I'm asking.
PCjr:
Eric

Re: Arachne?

Postby Brutman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:29 am

There really is no point to running a web browser on an old DOS machine. Unless you have a fairly powerful machine that can run Dillo it's just a lost cause - the modern web requires too much crap.

The V20 helps some programs that are compiled using the 80286 instruction set. NCSA Telnet is an example of such a program. Your linked version of Arachne might work as that version only needs an 8088. A V20 will not improve the speed enough to make a real difference; it's going to be painful no matter what.

I'd love to write a web browser for DOS but I think we are past the point of it being feasible with the modern web. The TCP/IP part is the easy part; rendering modern pages would be a nightmare. Even with a capable machine without the common libraries you would wind up re-inventing a lot of wheels. And as the web moves more toward HTTPS it gets worse; the encryption required will be painful on old machines.
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to PCjr Software