Best PCjr Games?

Software related questions

Re: Best PCjr Games?

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:13 pm

KenG wrote:I have a patched version of DOS 5.0 that I got from another forum member. I wasn't forcing anything and I don't have the Tandy mod. I didn't run an installer, I plan to try that tonight. I have 640K, 128k enhanced jr with 384k in a Quadram expansion chassis, and another 128k from an IBM sidcar. If installing soesn't work, I will try booting with DOS 3.3 and fewer drivers loaded. Thanks for the responce.

If you're booting DOS off the hard drive now instead of the floppy disk, it still needs to be patched on the hard drive (it's a boot sector patch and doesn't get copied over automatically -- I tried to patch the format tool once to do that automatically using some instructions I had found, but it didn't work). Even if it is patched, it will still freeze if you don't have STACKS=0,0 in the CONFIG.SYS.

EDIT: Just saw in another thread that you had done the patch on the hard drive already. Still, make sure you have the STACKS line.
jmetal88

Postby KenG » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:13 am

Yes, I have stacks=0,0 as the first line in my config.sys
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby KenG » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:39 am

I copied the Ultima1 folder from the Complete Ultimate Collection CD onto the PCjr. It comes up in CGA, but the graphics aren't bad and it seems very playable.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby Hargle » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:21 am

I so love the ultima series, especially U3 which I mentioned on the first page of this thread. It takes awhile to get the hang of all the various keyboard keys, but I think they are still etched into my mind all these years later. I played U3 so much on my PCjr back in the 80s that whenever I see any Ultima or Ultima-like game that is using more than 4 colors, I never think it looks right.

If I were ever able to clone myself to get the free time, I always wanted to create my own Ultima game. I'd write it in x86 assembly and it would of course have to run on a PCjr. I *might* even go so far as only supporting CGA. :D
Hargle

Postby KenG » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:03 am

I played them on my Commodore 128 originally. I don't know where I found the time. The only other series I might like more is Might and Magic.
KenG

Previous

Return to PCjr Software