Do .COM or .EXE Files Exist For These Games?

Software related questions

Re: Do .COM or .EXE Files Exist For These Games?

Postby Hargle » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:50 am

Found one note about copy protection and Pitfall II. I haven't uncovered the raw binaries yet.

Pitfall II attempts to overwrite CS:0 (the 55 in the rom signature of 55aa) and then checks it later. I changed it to write 55 instead of 0.

Pretty brutal copy protection indeed! This was typical of what I protections I did find, and I think only two or three of all the ROMs were ever protected at all. Considering that until I made my booter floppy with all the carts on it, there really weren't any pirated copies of most of them to be found in the wild, maybe even these protection schemes weren't needed.
Hargle

Postby Trixter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:32 am

That is so brutal!! I never would have thought there would be ROM copy protection. I've heard of ROM-based games being difficult to translate to files because of the way they were written (assumed complete control of the system, etc.), such as porting Atari 5200 games to the Atari 8-bit series of home computers, but never actual copy protection. I can't believe I haven't run into this before.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Hargle » Mon May 02, 2016 6:29 am

FWIW, a DOS conversion of Pitfall II now exists in TDC! I tested it last night and it works quite nicely.
Hargle

Previous

Return to PCjr Software