What kinds of uses might require an RGB monitor?

General discussions on the PCjr

What kinds of uses might require an RGB monitor?

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm just wondering, since I'll be restricted to viewing my PCjr on a TV for the foreseeable future, what kinds of uses might require an RGB monitor? At the moment, 80-column text is all I can think of, but I didn't know if there were any graphics modes that might not work on composite video, or might display wrong colors or something.

Also, kind of a side note that really doesn't deserve its own post, I just opened up a broken Tandy 1400FD I got in the same lot of stuff that the PCjr came in, and found a socketed NEC V20 inside. I think I'll go ahead and stick it in my PCjr to get the slight speed-up it's supposed to give.
jmetal88

Re: What kinds of uses might require an RGB monitor?

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:21 pm

jmetal88 wrote:Also, kind of a side note that really doesn't deserve its own post, I just opened up a broken Tandy 1400FD I got in the same lot of stuff that the PCjr came in, and found a socketed NEC V20 inside. I think I'll go ahead and stick it in my PCjr to get the slight speed-up it's supposed to give.

Just tried this and discovered an interesting side effect. With the V20 installed, the cassette BASIC screen periodically flashes, with the text getting wider and appearing reddish for a fraction of a second or so. I'll put the 8088 back in for the time being, but I'll keep the V20 out here in one of my antistatic chip tube sections, in case I want to try out the speed up on anything specific sometime.
jmetal88

Postby Brutman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm sure the V20 is not causing your glitch. Check your power supply again .. it's almost impossible to tell when a V20 is in a system, except for the 5% or so speedup you get from it and some additional instructions that the 8088 does not have.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Brutman wrote:I'm sure the V20 is not causing your glitch. Check your power supply again .. it's almost impossible to tell when a V20 is in a system, except for the 5% or so speedup you get from it and some additional instructions that the 8088 does not have.

Well, when I swapped it back out the glitch went away, so... yeah.

EDIT: The V20, I mean, not the power supply.

Interestingly enough, the machine with the V20 installed glitches less often the longer I leave it on.

EDIT 2: Oh, strangeness. Just reinstalled the V20 and the screen is not glitching now. Maybe it had a dirty contact or something since re-seating it seems to have helped.
jmetal88

Return to PCjr General Discussion