General discussions on the PCjr

Re: PCjr FTP server

Postby Brutman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Bugs fixed and back online!
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Well, I was able to ftp into the server using the Win XP integrated ftp client without any difficulty. I tried to ftp from my PCjr, but I kept getting an "Error resolving FTP address" message. It's really cool to have a PCjr as a server! Too bad you can't keep it on for extended periods of time...
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:35 am

Assuming you are using my FTP client on the PCjr, the command line to get you to my FTP server is:

ftp -port 2021 96.42.228.74

There is no address to resolve - that's a straight numerical IP address already. Were you putting the full ftp://96.42.228.74:2021/ on the command line by accident?

I could leave it on, and it will probably be on for another day or two at a minimum so that I can continue testing. Longer term, the machine seems happy and fine with the extended run time. I'm more worried about burning up a hard drive, the cat knocking into the setup, or the Zip drive getting worn out. (The Zip 100 is a nice solution because it automatically spins down when not in use. But it won't last forever ... )

Any if anybody here wants to setup a server, the software will be usable soon enough. I corrected one major bug yesterday related to reserved DOS filenames and one obscure bug that could have been bad if it was left uncorrected. (It was a TCP socket reuse problem.) The bugs are getting harder and harder to find, so it's nearly done.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:41 am

My bad :) While I am now able to connect to the server with my jr, your server does not seem to like my name :lol: I tried guest and anonymous, but they all appeared very unpalatable to the server... What username and password are expected here?
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:58 am

"Anonymous" or "ftp" should work - those are the standards. You probably just had a typo.

You need to give it something for a password - your email address is traditional, but it's not strictly checked. An empty password wont work.

After that, enjoy!
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:13 pm

Yes it apparently was a typo. Now there is a new problem: I am able to CD into a directory, but the ls or dir commands give an error 425 "Can't open connection". Also, when I send the command "quote SITE WHO" or "quote SITE STATS", the appropriate information is displayed but after each line there is a "Warning: Unrecognized response from server" error. Not a huge deal, but it would be nicer without it.
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:22 pm

Read the parts of the post about active vs. passive mode. You need to be using passive mode connections if you are behind a firewall.

The bug with the "Warning: Unrecognized response" is corrected in the next version of the FTP client that I'll be posting in the next week or so.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Brutman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:28 pm

All done for now! (It's time to give the machine a rest.)
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:56 am

Everything seems to work fine now. Thanks! I would love to have a copy of the server software when it's completely debugged. I should make swapping files between my other computers and the Jr a snap.
Vorticon

Postby deathshadow60 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Brutman wrote:If anybody needs the 'mouse balls' file that Bob is referring to

Were those twist-off or snap-off?
The only thing about Adobe web development products that can be considered professional grade tools are the people promoting their use.
deathshadow60

Previous

Return to PCjr General Discussion