Dug our my jr

General discussions on the PCjr

Re: Dug our my jr

Postby jason » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:31 pm

jason wrote:*sigh*

Okay, my machine is back to not working again. :(

I was in the process of putting in the new floppy drive permanently into the system (instead of sitting on top of the system for testing). And yes I had an anti-static wrist strap on. I also put on the PC Enterprises 512kB memory sidecar and PC Enterprises parallel port expansion for my HD 5 1/4" drive and was hoping to get started on getting all of that working again. Well, I boot it up and the drive runs for like 2 seconds and the system goes straight to BASIC, doesn't even attempt to boot the disk.

So after a few minutes, I take the system back apart again and back to just 128 kB and the 5 1/4" drive. Still no joy, same response. I take the drive out of the system, reseat the floppy and floppy controller..no change. I put the old drive back in the system, and it behaves just like it did before, won't boot anything, but at least it tries.

I ran the system diagnostics on the floppy drive, I get a code B on the old drive "Have your PCjr serviced", and a code C on the newer (to me at least) drive "diskette is write protected"...which it's not.

Anyone have any ideas?

PS
Oh yeah, on one of the drives, it almost sounded like the motor was speeding up and slowing down a little bit (the drive motor, not the motor for the head).

Okay, I just cleaned the rails on the older drive and now it boots...maybe I need to clean the other as well...The drive motor still makes a bit more noise than I'd like but at least it works. I'm still at a bit of a loss for what happened though.
jason

Postby Brutman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:16 pm

The boot loader code in DOS is not terribly robust. If it is trying to boot DOS and has a read error while loading DOS from disk the machine will punt and go to Cassette BASIC. It's too early in the boot process to get 'Disk error reading Drive A, retry, abort, ignore' or whatever the specific message is. That message comes from DOS, and if DOS isn't loaded there isn't much to be done.

Clean the drive well, and see if you can work some oil into the stepper motor and the motor that spins the disk. You might have to remove the drive, apply a drop of oil, and then leave it sit to soak in for a day at a strange angle.

Don't be liberal with oil - it causes it's own problems. (It gives the dirt something to cling to.)
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jason » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:29 pm

Brutman wrote:The boot loader code in DOS is not terribly robust. If it is trying to boot DOS and has a read error while loading DOS from disk the machine will punt and go to Cassette BASIC. It's too early in the boot process to get 'Disk error reading Drive A, retry, abort, ignore' or whatever the specific message is. That message comes from DOS, and if DOS isn't loaded there isn't much to be done.

Clean the drive well, and see if you can work some oil into the stepper motor and the motor that spins the disk. You might have to remove the drive, apply a drop of oil, and then leave it sit to soak in for a day at a strange angle.

Don't be liberal with oil - it causes it's own problems. (It gives the dirt something to cling to.)

It won't do anything with any disks I put in it, it just goes straight to BASIC every time. Even unformatted disks, etc. And I don't have the cartridge in at the moment. Cleaned the rails, same thing...which is odd because it worked when I first got it. BTW, cleaning the rails made it NICE and quiet again, I was so used to the loud head movement, I forgot it could be quiet :D

Any chance I can get a picture on where exactly to oil? I can identify the rails easily enough, and the heads, and I have a vague idea where the other two motors are, but I hesitate to oil them without knowing exactly where?

Is 3-in-1 pentrating oil okay to use?
jason

Previous

Return to PCjr General Discussion