Guide to Operations - Scan Available?

General discussions on the PCjr

Guide to Operations - Scan Available?

Postby GHiero » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Has the IBM PCjr. Guide to Operations been scanned and made available online? This book is an absolute must for the PCjr. beginner. The key combinations and the descriptions of the cryptic diagnostic screens are extremely useful. I'd volunteer to scan mine with the inserts I have, but if its already been done then what would be the point?
GHiero

Re: Guide to Operations - Scan Available?

Postby Trixter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:28 pm

A cursory online search doesn't show that manual... odd, I thought most of them had been scanned by now.

I am purchasing a ScanSnap this month; if you don't get to it by then, I certainly can. It would be a good test for the scanner, actually. Poke me in a month if I haven't produced anything.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby geoffdaddy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:31 pm

If you all would like, I could scan this in at work when I get back (currently on medical leave). I have access to a fancy Canon copier that will scan and even OCR duplex documents at the push of a button. Outputs to PDF.
PCjr: 10MB RACore 01 hard drive expansion, Hotshot 640kB RAM expander, optical mouse, Xircom PE3, speech sidecar.
geoffdaddy

Postby Brutman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:08 pm

GHiero wrote:Has the IBM PCjr. Guide to Operations been scanned and made available online? This book is an absolute must for the PCjr. beginner. The key combinations and the descriptions of the cryptic diagnostic screens are extremely useful. I'd volunteer to scan mine with the inserts I have, but if its already been done then what would be the point?

I don't think it has already been done. If you'd like to take the initiative, well, then it would get done. ; - 0
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby GHiero » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:22 pm

The Guide to Operations was published in a three-ring binder format where you were supposed to add Option inserts as you purchased upgrades. I have the following Option inserts :

IBM PCjr Color Display Installation and Operating Instructions (stapled booklet)
IBM PCjr Parallel Printer Attachment Installation Instructions (stapled booklet)
IBM PCjr Diskette Drive Installation and Operating Instructions (loose pages)
IBM PCjr 64KB Memory and Display Expansion Installation Instructions (loose pages)

I suspect the loose page inserts were included with every Enhanced PCjr sold. If these were purchased separately, then they may have been in the booklet format.

The installation instructions for the Joystick and Keyboard Cord are already scanned and available at the main PCjr. page. The installation instructions for the parallel printer and cluster adapters are available on the oldskool ftp.

As far as Section 6, Testing Your IBM PCjr goes, my manual does not include a description of the tests for the Compact Printer or Speech Adapter. I don't know if there is a test for the Cluster adapter included in the ROM BIOS. I do not believe that there is a test for the Memory Expansion Attachment other than the RAM test on bootup.
GHiero

Postby Trixter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 pm

I have my duplex scanner now, and can scan the Guide to Operations loose papers (no bound material) if you still need it. Do you still need it?
Trixter

Postby GHiero » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:20 pm

No, unless you have option adapters I don't have :)
GHiero

Postby Trixter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:34 pm

Wait, reading the thread I was confused -- it sounds like the Guide to Operations isn't available on the web anywhere, rather than someone with a specific need. I'll remedy this.
Trixter

Postby Trixter » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:03 am

Okay, done. While some descreening might have helped and may be attempted in the future, the resulting file is text-searchable which is IMO more important. You can pick up the Guide as well as the three papers that came with it over here: ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Hardware/IBM

Mike: Might be good to put this on your PCjr site proper, so that brand-new users can grab the "I'm brand new to computers!" guide.
Trixter

Postby Brutman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:53 am

Trixter wrote:Wait, reading the thread I was confused -- it sounds like the Guide to Operations isn't available on the web anywhere, rather than someone with a specific need. I'll remedy this.

I think that you missed that GH was checking to see if anybody had done it yet, and was offering to do his. But it looks like you got it done faster.
Brutman
Site Admin

Next

Return to PCjr General Discussion