PCjr. Serial Numbers

General discussions on the PCjr

PCjr. Serial Numbers

Postby GHiero » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:42 pm

My PCjr. has what appears to be a serial number (above or below the bar code on the sticker underneath the machine) of 0627-0627053. The repetition of the first four digits would seem to make it awkward to use for a machine was made in the hundreds of thousands. Perhaps this indicates the month and day in which the system was built, June 27, with the last three digits representing the number manufactured on that given day. This scheme would work if IBM manufactured 1,000 or less every day, and in the eighteen months in which the system was supported, it would be possible for IBM to have manufactured the estimated 500,000 PCjr. estimated to have been built during its lifetime.

As my system seemed to come with features of a later PCjr. like a long power board and a shroudless RAM expansion, I would suggest my system was manufactured in 1984, not 1983 (assuming IBM was even manufacturing them in that month, which I doubt.)

Edit : My PCjr has a socketed 8088.
Last edited by GHiero on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GHiero

Re: PCjr. Serial Numbers

Postby OffensiveJerk » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:40 am

Mine seems to be an earlier model, but I can't confirm.
It has a socket 8088, and a shrouded RAM expansion.

My serial is 0267-0537791. It's below the bar code.
OffensiveJerk

Re: PCjr. Serial Numbers

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Mine is 0267-0063718.

It was the model with the Socketed Intel 8088 and a short powerboard, though I'm not sure if the card was stock or a replacement. I'm not the original owner, it used to belong to a school and found its way to a showcase at some museum and eventually made its way into my hands. :roll:

The date on the capacitors were from late 1983, but I'm really not sure if that indicates anything, considering they could have just been in a stockpile for awhile.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, those Nichicon caps I had were on a newer board. The board that were in the said system were unmarked. I'll check out the dates on the components from the other board, though.
PCjr:
Eric

Return to PCjr General Discussion