PCjr web server test

General discussions on the PCjr

PCjr web server test

Postby Brutman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:16 pm

This is just a little test so that the infamous PCjr can serve (most) of its own web site:

http://67.185.176.54:8080/

That link has the main page, and it should look like my normal PCjr web site. This next link has some fun server status like memory available, DOS version, BIOS date, etc.:

http://67.185.176.54:8080/proc/

There are one or two links that are broken because I did not get all of the content moved over. Otherwise, it should work if you try it. The speed might not be great as it is a 4.77Mhz machine and multiple people can make requests at the same time, so be patient - it will catch up.

-Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: PCjr web server test

Postby Trixter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:32 pm

I hammered it a bit and it kept on truckin'. Very cool to see interlaced GIFs load due to the slower speed :-) Reminds me of 1994.

This is both brilliant and hilarious. Achievement unlocked!
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby deathshadow60 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:23 am

You could probably lighten the load by modernizing the markup -- main page alone you've got 8.7k of markup doing less than 5k's job... Likewise you've got it set to disable browser caching, and that would increase the load as well. You could also strip the META nothing cares about or uses (author), maybe drag it kicking and screaming out of being "in transition from 1997 to 1998 coding practices" (which is what "HTML 4 transitional" means), ditch the google analytics crap... (usually redundant to the server logs... though... does your server HAVE logging?).

Some image optimization wouldn't hurt either -- that 100k 'metal' background is painful to watch load; on a image that is obviously tiled and being fairly monochromatic is unlikely to need to be much more than 5k in size.

Sorry there, website optimization was my bread and butter for the better part of a decade; I made an art out of taking websites that were choking to death dual Xeon servers with 8 gigs of RAM and hosting them on single core P4's with a quarter the ram with server to spare.

... and I do love squeezing performance out of really narrow data pipes. If you don't mind, I might do a quick rewrite of your main page to see just how tiny I can get it without any radical changes... Either that or I'd make radical changes to modernize it into being 'responsive'.
The only thing about Adobe web development products that can be considered professional grade tools are the people promoting their use.
deathshadow60

Postby deathshadow60 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:41 am

HEY! Is that actually sending markup and CSS gzipped? It seems so... If you have realtime gzip compression, I'm damned impressed...

... or did you precompress the files?
The only thing about Adobe web development products that can be considered professional grade tools are the people promoting their use.
deathshadow60

Postby Brutman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:13 am

I'm aware of the problems with the content - I've been testing it locally so I see the same problems. If this site were to be hosted on a PCjr permanently those are things that I would do. The important part is that the content is *unmodified* from the original site and the machine is still handling it. There were no changes to the embedded links; the machine is doing the translation from the normal looking URLs to DOS 8.3 filenames.

The content is pre-compressed where it makes sense. The server can serve non-compressed content or pre-compressed content, if it is available on the server and the client accepts it.

The server running on the machine is the interesting part ... And yes, it's logging the heck out of everything. I like Google Analytics because I can do "at a glance" checkups without going to logs. But that was unintentional too - the content was copied straight from the main site and this test has been polluting the real numbers.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Brutman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:18 am

It's running again. A good portion of the content and brutman.com is being automatically redirected to the PCjr.

This time around I fixed some of the large image sizes and markup that Deathshadow was complaining about, made some speed tweaks, and put a real Ethernet card on the machine to improve the performance. It's quite a bit better with the new hardware.

Let's see if anybody notices the redirects from brutman.com to the PCjr ... (The forum is *not* affected. The PCjr is not ready for PHP.)
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Trixter » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:43 pm

So far so good after a few quick tests, but the images do suffer (they load much slower, but that's to be expected).

I think a note on the front page saying "Served from a real PCjr!" would be cool :)
Trixter

Postby Brutman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:58 pm

I thought about modifying the pages, or doing a temporary "landing page" that all of the redirects would go through first. But for now, I think I'll just keep it stealthy. The redirects from my main site are giving me a good mix of real world traffic, including all of the various bots.

My site normally gets 4500 page views a month, and each page probably requires 3 or 4 objects to be fetched. I think a PCjr is more than fast enough to keep up with 25 requests per hour. ;-0

The real Ethernet card makes a big difference. I've also changed my logging scheme so I am actively buffering log messages in memory, and flushing them when things are idle. That is working out well; I get the benefits of extensive logging without slowing down every request. I still need to add "log rolling" at some point; at some pre-determined size close out the current log and then do a quick compression pass on it to save disk space. A DOS 3.3 system doesn't have a lot of storage for logs.

This is the only place where I've let on this test is in progress. You are now my co-conspirators. ;-)
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Trixter » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Brutman wrote:The real Ethernet card makes a big difference.

That will likely be my final PCjr acquisition, but of course it's rarer than hen's teeth.
Trixter

Postby Vorticon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:38 am

Mike, neither link seems to be working...
Vorticon

Next

Return to PCjr General Discussion