"Fill your jrIDE" project now ready for testing

General discussions on the PCjr

Re: "Fill your jrIDE" project now ready for testing

Postby Vorticon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Trixter wrote:
Vorticon wrote:I actually burned a CD on my PC with the TDL files and transferred them to the Jr that way :)

For extra credit, you can try to launch files that are still located on the CD: Edit TDL.INI to change proglocations= so that the first path points to your CDROM drive (so if your CDROM drive is D:, it would look like proglocations=d:\archives or something).

Ah cool :) I'll have to give it a shot.
I wonder if you would be willing of have a zip file with all your 3400 games in it. I could stash them on a CD and use them that way.
I have to say that TDL is insanely great! And now that there is a favorites list, it's even better.

One possible future expansion would be linking the games zip files to PDF manuals or text files in a separate repository which the user could update manually. I can envision scanning the manuals of my favorite games to PDF and having them available when needed. There is apparently a DOS PDF reader available https://winworldpc.com/download/488EFA6A-18DA-11E4-99E5-7054D21A8599 but I'm not sure if it will run on a PCjr or even if it will work with newer versions of the PDF format. I'm going to check it out this weekend.
Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Tempest wrote:I'll bring it to the show and maybe we can find a quiet corner to work in. There should be a PCjr monitor at the show so maybe we can borrow that so I don't have to lug mine?

The only PCjr monitor I know will be there will be attached to a PCjr on the show floor...
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Tempest » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:57 am

Trixter wrote:
Tempest wrote:I'll bring it to the show and maybe we can find a quiet corner to work in. There should be a PCjr monitor at the show so maybe we can borrow that so I don't have to lug mine?

The only PCjr monitor I know will be there will be attached to a PCjr on the show floor...

I was hoping we might be able to 'borrow' it for a few minutes.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Postby Vorticon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:31 pm

So I've tried the latest version of TDL, and it crashes every time. I get the message Runtime Error 005 at 06D7:0A1A. There is nothing in the log file since TDL is not even starting. The original version of TDL still works just fine...
Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:52 pm

I tested and uploaded the most current version: ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/temp/TDL.EXE

Try that and let me know if you get the same error. (The error you reported was "file access denied" when trying to read "titles.idx")
Trixter

Postby Vorticon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:54 am

Nope, still getting the same error. Again the original version works fine.
BTW, I did end up accessing the file repository directly from the CDROM instead of the hard disk. It's slower, but it saves space on the disk.
Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:07 pm

That's really bizarre because it works over here (on a PCjr). Change TDL.INI "userlevel" line to "userlevel=power" and try it again; it should spit out some messages as it starts up. Let me know what those messages are.
Trixter

Postby Trixter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:37 pm

I figured it out; the error points to the EXACT line number in the source that is trying to save the favorites cache to disk. Since you're running it off of a CDROM drive, it can't do that, so I added (but forgot to mention) a -r flag, which puts TDL into read-only mode. tdl -? displays the following:

Code: Select all
D:\COMPILED>tdl /?

Usage: TDL.EXE <switches>

Switches:
-?, -h  This help
-c      Set 43-line (EGA) or 50-line (VGA) mode.
        (If you need more lines than that, see TDL.INI for VESA options.)
-r      Instructs TDL that it is on read-only media (ie. CDROM or DVDROM)
        and that it should not try to write anything to its local filesystem.
        This disables "favorites" as well as writing the debug log to disk.

Use the -r flag and see if that fixes it for you. (And definitely try to test the new version because it has some speed fixes for PCjr)
Trixter

Postby Vorticon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:39 pm

TDL -r works. However, if I transfer the Files directory to my C: drive and change the TDL.INI to reflect that path, TDL still only works with the -r switch even though the repositories are on the hard disk and not the CDROM.
I get the same error message as before. Again, the original TDL works fine, and so there has got to be some subtle bug in there somewhere with the new version... I really want that Favorites functionality.
Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:32 pm

TDL uses the directory it starts in as its working directory. So if you copy TDL.EXE, FILES.IDX, TITLES.IDX, and the two INI files to a writeable filesystem (and make sure they don't have the read-only flag still set because you copied them from a CDROM), and start it from there, it should work. You would edit TDL.INI to point proglocations= to where you had the .zip files (ie. the CDROM drive), so something like "proglocations=e:\archives".

There are hidden options to specify exactly what the working directory should be and even what "TDL.INI" should be called, but those are for development purposes which is why I didn't expose them in the help :-) Copying everything but the actual .zip files over to a hard drive (or floppy disk!) should be the fix. Let me know if it works.
Trixter

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr General Discussion