I am back. at least for a little while

General discussions on the PCjr

I am back. at least for a little while

Postby southernbob » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:51 pm

I have to clean up my spare bedroom where I did all my PCJR work. So, I decided to try
my PCJR (1 of them anyway) and my 2 support systems (386 & 486). They haven't
been powered on for 1 - 2 years and I thought there would be problems. They all
powered up OK (the 486 sys had a disk controller error but a POR got the electrons
going in the correct direction and it worked). My two meg hard files on the JR both
came up OK and the compact flash reader (Datafab) worked OK also. I hope I can get
back working on some of the stuff I was working on before, but have to re-learn a
bunch of stuff to get going again.

Mike, is the 'stuff' on Brian's old PCJR FTP site gone?
Thats all for now.
Bob
southernbob

Re: I am back. at least for a little while

Postby Brutman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:50 am

Hi Bob,

Welcome back .. it's been too quiet around here.

I've been plugging away at my TCP/IP code. I ran into some funny Jr specific problems for the first time a few weeks ago when I was coding Ping up. I was lazy and linked in the math library instead of just approximating floating point using integer math, and even though everything should have been emulated because I don't have an 8087, the library hooked the NMI interrupt. For a Jr, that's nasty.

All better now - I got rid of the floating point. The same code runs on everything from a PCjr to emulated DosBox on Windows XP.

I have an FTP snapshot of the message board from Brian's site, so it can be resurrected. It's a project though - I'm going to be reconstructing the messages from raw SQL tables. It's doable, it's just time consuming.
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to PCjr General Discussion