Malicious rogue pages

Post here for administrative stuff

Malicious rogue pages

Postby Vorticon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Mike, every time I access your brutman.com domain either through the forum or directly, I start getting malicious rogue pages telling me that Chrome was out of date and needed updating (with a convenient link provided of course) or that I won some thing or other. This does not happen with any other site I access. Any ideas?
Vorticon

Re: Malicious rogue pages

Postby Brutman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:42 pm

Nothing on my site should be sending garbage like that. If you see that again, right click on the page and look at "view page info" or "view page source". To figure out who is screwing you we need to find the source of it. The Chrome console (shift-ctrl-J and then reload your content) is a good source of debug information too.

I've never seen anything like that or had other reports of it. Try to send me some information. My hosting company is reputable, so there should be none of that nonsense.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jmetal88 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:44 pm

I'd guess you have a browser hijack. I haven't seen anything like that from this site, on my end.
jmetal88

Postby Brutman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:47 pm

Great timing - I was just going to ask if anybody else had seen any of that garbage.

(And the question still stands.)

Because the PCjr is running some of the site you will see redirects to a numbered IP address. The main site is at 208.73.32.24, which is a shared hosting site. The PCjr is on my home cable modem connection at 67.185.176.54:8088. Anything else is fraud.

-Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:08 pm

I have unistalled Chrome then downloaded a fresh copy. I also ran an extensive virus scan on my entire system but nothing came up. I am generally extremely careful with what I download on my computer having had a nasty virus a couple of years ago, so I am puzzled as to what has happened here.
In any case I have not seen the rogue pages again. If I they pop up again, I'm going to reinstall my entire system from a know secure backup.
Vorticon

Return to Forum Support