Micro-Zone Forum Database

Post here for administrative stuff

Micro-Zone Forum Database

Postby Brutman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:26 pm

I know that some of you are upset about the possibility that micro-zone is going to be abandoned. I'm not crazy enough to walk away from it without harvesting the posts in it. I tried it today and I think I've got the technique. Getting the data and reading it seems to be pretty easy. With some SQL queries and some code I can reconstruct entire threads. So don't worry, the data is safe.

I don't want to do anything while micro-zone is still up. Brian might come back and try to fix/clean things up. But in the event that micro-zone does lapse registration again and go away, I will make the data available.
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: Micro-Zone Forum Database

Postby T-R-A » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:55 am

Would it be easier to do a "spiderzilla" download? (just curious)
T-R-A

Re: Micro-Zone Forum Database

Postby Brutman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:01 am

We have a few months to try it. I understand how such a tool works on a static web site, but it would have to be somewhat more complicated to be able to follow threads on multiple pages. Have you tried it?

The SQL trick seems to work fine .. just need Microsoft Access and a few hours. I poked around in it already - formatting it to make it look nice will take more time than writing the queries.

(That's all the web forum software does anyway .. it just formats it to make it look nice.)

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to Forum Support