YAM!

Say hello here!

YAM!

Postby MikeModified » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:52 pm

Yep, yet another Mike. And another victim of Big Mike's incessant (?brutal?) aggrandizement of the PCjr over vintage-computer.com. ;-o

I started in the late 70s when I bought an unused TRS-80 from a fellow sailor in Japan. The first free Saturday after the purchase, I hoped on a commuter train up to Tokyo, then a subway ride to the Akihabara (electronics) district. Sketchy directions in hand, I found the only TRS-80 dealer in Tokyo, where I bought a 0k expansion lnterface, then wandered around looking for the cheapest RAM to fill the EI.

Somewhat later, I purchased a pair of Aerocomp DSDD floppies, about $1000 shipped from Texas to FPO Seattle. I eventually upgraded to an LNW-80, then, back in the States to, an LNW-80 Model 2.

Then I moved on to a PCjr, which ended up with 2 drives and 640k. I have fond memories of that little machine, but eventually I moved up to an XT clone and then beyond.

Now, it looks like I'm getting an ex-Brutmanworks PCjr* from Hargle, so in the next couple of weeks, I'll be be back in the jr world.

Mike

*actually, nothing special: just a 128k machine that wasn't worth taking west.
MikeModified

Re: YAM!

Postby Brutman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi Other Mike ... welcome to our little club.

The TRS-80s were the machines I was looking at in the store window. Literally. And now we hear that Radio Shack is slowly folding in on itself.

I was really trying to test the new mTCP web server, but it just seemed so appropriate to do so by letting a PCjr host its own web site. Most classic machines can't do that, or at least not with the style that the PCjr did it. A lot of the credit goes to having a real hard drive interface; serving from a Zip drive would have worked, but it would have been a bit slower and it probably would have worn holes in the media.

If you are local to Hargle then those machines are just about a steal. I read he's having some problems with the monitors, so I'm a little concerned - I did not knowingly leave him with junk. He's working on it, and there are plenty more unloved PCjr monitors in existence.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby geoffdaddy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Greetings, Other Mike!
PCjr: 10MB RACore 01 hard drive expansion, Hotshot 640kB RAM expander, optical mouse, Xircom PE3, speech sidecar.
geoffdaddy

Postby MikeModified » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks, Geoff!

Mike, somehow the emoticons didn't make it into the final, saved draft of my intro. The first part was supposed to be <humor>. Using your jr as the web site server was the final straw in my decision to get a jr. Cool stuff.

Hargle is charging me really close to what you charged him. Shipping shouldn't (hopefully) be killer as I like just down I-5 from you.

Mike
MikeModified

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:55 pm

How many Michaels have we got on this board, anyhow?

*Every member stands up and raises a hand saying "Yo!"*

I knew it, I'm surrounded by Michaels…
*lowers vizor*
KEEP POSTING, MICHAELS!

Anyway, welcome, Mike.
PCjr:
Eric

Return to Introductions