Anybody awake?

Open discussion for anything computer related

Anybody awake?

Postby Brutman » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:12 pm

It's been very quiet overall. I knew that this forum wasn't going to be busy, but I didn't expect it to be mostly dormant.

How many of you are out there and awake? Do you check in often and just have nothing to say? Are your machines just on the shelf collecting dust?

It's not hurting anything if it is dormant, but I want to understand the reasons behind that.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: Anybody awake?

Postby robertwlu » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:40 am

I still stop in here every now and then i was also looking at that PCE system to rich for me used to have one 20 years ago I pulled out my Jrs last month and powered them up they still work and the date chip was only 3 hours off also powered up the cf drive for the Jr still locks up after a few minutes still have 9 PCJrs in diffrent formats i have one that was running PC dos 7 i still look for jr parts on e-bay and craigs list but everyone wants to much
robertwlu

Postby Jim Thomson » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:50 pm

I moved about 3 years ago and I have been a little busy learning my new job. I have three juniors set up, but haven't really done anything with them since the move. I have recently acquired a jrExcellerator and a speech attachment which I have yet to install. I drop by this site about once a week to see whats up but as you say not much has been happening.
Jim Thomson

Postby Brutman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:20 pm

It's good to hear from both of you ... the original members of our elite club.

I'm still playing with the older machines and the Jr is still a big part of that, but overall I don't have as much time as I used to. I'm still a little puzzled about why Micro-zone died off and where everybody scattered to. Some attrition is normal as people take breaks (and hopefully come back), but usually there are new people to fill in - we haven't seen that.

Anybody have any ideas? Is this machine such a small niche?
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jason » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:18 pm

I still check in from time to time. Haven't booted the jr up lately though, I've been busy backing up all my old 3 1/2" disks as of late. Then I plan to try and backup more of my 5 1/4" with copy protection.
jason

Postby Brutman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:40 pm

Well, we are up to 4 semi-regular visitors including myself. 8-)
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby MadKingCorduroy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:03 pm

I check in every now and again but there really isn't much going on with PCjr computers to get people to keep coming back and talking really. I mean this forum and site is great and a huge asset for reference about the PCjr machines but the modding community is almost nil and game compatibility is pretty low so... yeah. Also at the moment my PCjr is packed away in it's boxes and shelved, it simply takes up too much room and just isn't compatible enough to keep set up all the time. I have sort of a love hate relationship with that machine. :P
MadKingCorduroy

Postby alanh » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:19 pm

I am here. I've just been really slammed at work recently and have taken additional contract work on the side. Hopefully will settle down an a month or two.
alanh

Postby MikeModified » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:57 pm

I check in several times a day. The most frequent "registered user" that I see is "baidu[spider]".

I wonder how many jr's there are in China and what legitimate purpose they have on this site.

Mike
MikeModified

Postby Trixter » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:42 pm

You can set the forum to notify you when a new post or reply shows up... no need to check in several times a day. "baidu" is a chinese web search engine crawling the site.

While activity ebbs and flows, I see no need to consider anything "dead". The jrIDE that I have has absolutely transformed the PCjr into a crazy usable machine -- I've done programming on it, written demos and games for it, and played some games on it that were otherwise very painful without a hard drive (or dual disk drive). Do I use it every day? No, but I am sure glad I have it waiting over on my shelf for the days I need it.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Next

Return to General Computer Discussions