New Telnet client for old DOS machines

Discussions on programming older machines

Re: New Telnet client for old DOS machines

Postby Vorticon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Tried ipconfig and obtained the IP address of the PC, but still no luck... I'll leave it alone for now.

Walid
Vorticon

Postby Vorticon » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:22 pm

OK, I got zFTP server to work on my networked old Win98 machine, but not on my XP machine. I can definitely live with that and it should greatly simplify my file transfers to the PCjr.

Walid
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm sure there are other FTP servers out there that work on XP. Cygwin isn't the easiest to work with, but it gives me so much Linux goodness right on my XP box that it is hard to live without now. Besides FTP I use vi, sed, awk, and netcat a lot. FTP is kind of strange - there is additional setup to do to make it run as a Windows 'service', and I can't begin to try to tell you about it .. I had to look it up and cut'n'paste when I did it, and I can't ever recreate it again.

I just love being able to FTP from the PCjr now. I just wish I had written it earlier.

Getting back on topic - have you found any other systems that Telnet is not working correctly with?

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:15 am

Getting back on topic - have you found any other systems that Telnet is not working correctly with?

telnet sites outside of MUD's are pretty rare these days. I am still exploring, but this MUD site disconnects after asking for the name (mud.darkerrealms.org -- port 2000) which does not happen when connecting from my XP machine. Another awesome MUD site (shadow-lands.com --port 4000) displays great but typed text does not show up on screen. Same issue with that site (fuskermud.net -- port 7777) which seems to use the same MUD server.
On the plus side, try this fun site which displays really cool and nostalgic Star Wars ASCII animations (towel.blinkenlights.nl --port 23). PCjr telnet works perfectly here. The toronto freenet also works well with portals to other Canadian freenets (torfree.net).

Walid
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:43 am

Darker Realms is not running a telnet server. So my telnet client is requesting options, and instead of a telnet server trying to process and respond to the options it is interpreting the binary telnet options as typed input to 'What is your name:'. If you use the -notelnetopts option on telnet it works. (You will have to use Ctrl-J instead of the enter key because it is not interpreting telnet 'newline' ... )

Shadow-lands is basically the same story - it's not a telnet server. Use the same option. Characters are not echoing because my client asks the other side to echo and it is ignoring the request. And my client doesn't know how to echo. That might be a good thing to add for when this happens.

Keep em coming ...

Mike

Edit: On second thought .. I was thinking about why my Linux box doesn't get confused by Darker Realms. I'm going to bet that when you go to a non-standard telnet port (anything but 23) that the telnet option negotiation gets turned off automatically. I'll look into making my code behave more like the Linux and Windows clients do, but for now the -notelnetopts option is a good workaround.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Brutman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:49 pm

I had too much time on my hands today .. Try this out: http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/telnet_2009-12-27.zip

You should be able to connect to the MUD systems now. If you need local echoing I added ALT-E to toggle local echoing on and off. (By default it is off.) I also fixed some bugs for monochrome display adapter users, and prettied up the help screen a little bit.

These systems aren't doing real telnet, so there may be some glitches. But I was at least able to connect to them reliably.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks! The sites work as advertised now.
Vorticon

Postby Vorticon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:40 am

Mike, when I telnet from my PCjr into my linux box and try to use some of the text based utilities such as Midnight Commander or YAST, the screen rendering does not display well in that many lines are replaced by strings of characters which clutter the screen and make it difficult to read. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix that?
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Did you try export LANG=en_US?

The default on my recent Linux machines is en_US.utf8, which introduces special chars that my telnet can't render. Plain en_US works better.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:41 pm

That worked. Thanks again.
Vorticon

Previous

Return to Programming