Just Snagged a PCjr - Eastern PA

Say hello here!

Just Snagged a PCjr - Eastern PA

Postby EagleTG » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:57 pm

Hi there!

Just picked up this beauty:

This is the "upgraded" model with the floppy drive and 128k memory. I also have some side cars, one that adds a parallel port and the other is an additional 128k. I am very pleased that it came with a matching PCjr monitor and the "professional" or non-chiclet keyboard. I will probably cobble together a keyboard cable as I don't feel like toying around with the IR and batteries.

It also came with a cool mouse from VisiCorp called the Visi On M2. It is optical (this blows my mind, see separate thread in the PCjr General Discussion section)!!! Has a 25-pin cable and then a ridiculously over-engineered adapter (solid metal parts and whatnot) that lets it connect to the PCjr. I also got a matched set of joysticks and a few of the manuals.

The whole system is in great shape. Found it on Craigslist of all places, never expected that!!! I search local Craigslist like it's my job looking for old computer stuff. This time it paid off in a big way!

I'm a big-time computer nerd and really into the retro stuff. PCjr has been a bit of an obsession of mine since I started reading about the history. Never knew about it when it was new. I was (and am) mostly a Commodore guy, which might explain part of why I never knew this thing existed. The more I studied it, the more I knew I needed to find one.

Happy to be here, big thanks to Mike for posting all kinds of information about this system and hosting this forum!
-Todd
EagleTG

Re: Just Snagged a PCjr - Eastern PA

Postby EagleTG » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:04 pm

Was able to cobble together a temporary power supply (two tin cans, some duct tape, a copper wire, coat hanger, bubble gum and some velcro, stand back while I plug this in)... She works!!!

Additionally was able to image some boot floppies for it. This is one of the DOS 5.0 images I found with specific PCjr modifications:

And this is the machine comically attempting to generate 10 random numbers two times. That's some quality random number generation!

See ya!!
EagleTG

Postby jmetal88 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Hey, ya found my boot disk! Good to see that making the rounds. I put it together for a couple of people who had me solder together their jrIDE cards a while back.
jmetal88

Postby EagleTG » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:48 pm

Got a power supply from the curator of the forum...

Works great!!
EagleTG

Postby Brutman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:53 pm

Somebody seems happy ... Glad to be of service!
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to Introductions