Best PCjr Games?

Software related questions

Best PCjr Games?

Postby Tempest » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:26 pm

Does anyone have a list of what they consider the best (most fun) games to play on the PCjr? I'm not concerned about whether or not the game supports the PCjr/Tandy graphics mode (CGA is fine), but how much fun the game is to play. There are entirely too many games to just dump them all onto my PCjr, so I want to just pick the ones I might actually play. I'm partial to Text Adventures, RPGs, and Arcade style games. Based on some posts over on Vogons I've made this list so far (some I know, some I don't and I'm just taking people's word for it):

Atarisoft Games (I have a soft spot for these)
Sierra Games (all of the AGI games work?)
Infocom Text Adventures
The Koz Series (I think there were 10 or so)

007 license to kill
Aaargh!
Alley Cat
Arcade volleyball
Arkanoid
Barbarian
Bards Tale I-III
Beast
Bionic Commando (if I can find the CGA version)
Blockout
Bouncing babies
Bruce Lee
Bubble bobble
Bubble Ghost
Buck Rogers
Burgertime
Bushido
Crossbow
Dangerous Dave
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Dark Side
Decathlon
Defender of the Crown
Digger
Double dragon 1+2
Exterminator
Fountain of Dreams
Forgotten worlds
Frogger
Galactix
Gauntlet
Gauntlet II
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II
Golden axe
Guerilla war
Hard hat mack
Hopper
Ikari warriors
Impossible mission 2
Ivan Iron Man’s Offroad Racing
J-Bird
Jumpman
Kings Bounty
Last ninja
Lode Runner
Lost tomb
Mach 3
Metal mutant
Moon Bugs
Night hunter
Night Mission Pinball
Night Stalker
North & south
Off shore warrior
Oubliette
Outrun
Paku Paku
Paperboy
Paratrooper
PC Pool
Platoon
PSI-5 Trading Company
Pyramids of Egypt
Rampage
Renegade
Rick dangerous 2
Road Runner
Robocop
Rogue
Round 42
Rush 'n attack
Saboteur 2
Savage
Sierra Boxing
Slipheed
Sokoban
Solomon's key
Spy hunter
Star control
Star goose
Striker
Styx
Super Zaxxon
Tapper
Teenage mutant ninja turtles
The last mission
Thexeder
Time bandit
Trolls Tale
Will the Worm
Xenon 1+2
Zaxxon
Last edited by Tempest on Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Re: Best PCjr Games?

Postby James » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:39 pm

I am partial to the Sierra AGI games especially the Space Quest series. Bouncing Babies, Killer Bees, Dangerous Dave and Pharoh's Tomb are good arcade games but only play in CGA on the PCjr. Muppet Adventure is fun if just for its awfulness.
-PCjr (1989)-DOS 3.3, Racore Drive II, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, jrExcellerator, Tandy Mod, Serial Card, Combo v2, Config Plus, IBM Parallel Port, Megaboard, Xircom PE3-10BT
-PCjr (2001)-DOS 3.3, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, NEC v20, Parallel Port, Comswap, Xircom PE3-10BT
James

Postby Tempest » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:44 am

Just thought of another good one to add: Fountain of Dreams. I know this isn't the best game, but it's the closest we got to a Wasteland sequel (well until the new game that just came out).

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby Hargle » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:13 am

I played Ultima III on my PCjr back in the day for about a solid year. Richard Garriott is responsible for my poor grades in middleschool.
The first 3 Ultimas should play just fine on your jr.

> There are entirely too many games to just dump them all onto my PCjr
If you have a IDEjr and ~4Gb DOM attached, you should be able to store every piece of software that supports an 8088 CPU locally. :)
My PCjrs have every game in the total DOS Collection from 1981->1989 ready to play.
Hargle

Postby Tempest » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:18 am

>>If you have a IDEjr and ~4Gb DOM attached, you should be able to store every piece of software that supports an 8088 CPU locally. :)
>>My PCjrs have every game in the total DOS Collection from 1981->1989 ready to play.[/quote]

How though? I have an archive of games from 81-88 but they're all separate zip files. To put them all on my PCjr I'd have to unzip each file, make a folder for them (limited to 8 characters) and then move them to the PCjr. Unzipping and making new folders for each game would take years (there are thousands of games after all). Is there some collection that's already organized that I'm missing? I have a 4GB DOM that I can use.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby Hargle » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:31 pm

Assuming you're referring to the Total DOS Collection archive, I have a tool and a database that matches the long zip filename with an 8 character filename. The tool creates an 8.3 friendly folder then unzips the file into that folder. If you run this tool on a modern machine with the collection and the database locally, you'll end up with a boatload of 8 character folders full o' games! It is then a matter of just transferring the data onto the DOM, which hopefully you have the ability to do on a modern machine too. That may require using DOS 5.0 or higher on the PCjr so the DOM's partition is available to a windows box.

I can hook ya up with all of these tools.
Hargle

Postby Tempest » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm not sure if it's the TDC or not, it's something someone here hooked me up with. Please post those tools and a link to that TDC just in case it's something different (I'm guessing it is, but I don't know for sure).

If you already have all the games unzipped onto a nice 4GB DOM partition, you can post that as well. I believe I can hook my DOM up to my PC and transfer things over.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby KenG » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:41 am

I bought Ghostbusters 2 off of eBay. Can anybody tell me what I have to do to make it work on the PCjr? Booting to DOS 2.1 without memory manager gives me junk on scree and locks up the computer. DOS 5.0 with memory manager just locks up the computer. Please help.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby Trixter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:33 am

If you have more than 128K, you must always boot with the memory manager, otherwise program RAM and video RAM will share the same space and you'll see the "junk on screen" that you saw. You should also assume that all non-PCjr-only games require a full 640K. So, here are some things to try:

• Do you have 640K?
  • Have you booted DOS 2.1 *with* a memory manager?
  • PCjrs only support DOS 3.x and lower without special patching. When you booted your DOS 5.0 disk, was it with a patched version? (If not, you can download and run this patching program: ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Softwar ... TCHDOS.ZIP

Also, if you force Tandy mode and see blank horizontal lines after starting the game, you'll have to reconfigure it for CGA mode. But you should be able to force Tandy sound just fine.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby KenG » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:35 am

I have a patched version of DOS 5.0 that I got from another forum member. I wasn't forcing anything and I don't have the Tandy mod. I didn't run an installer, I plan to try that tonight. I have 640K, 128k enhanced jr with 384k in a Quadram expansion chassis, and another 128k from an IBM sidcar. If installing soesn't work, I will try booting with DOS 3.3 and fewer drivers loaded. Thanks for the responce.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Next

Return to PCjr Software